If you had this equipment, what would you buy/upgrade next?

I'm at the point equipment-wise where I have everything I technically "need" to record some very decent demos/ep's, so now I'm trying to decide what (if anything) to purchase/upgrade next. There's always better plugins, preamps, mics, outboard stuff, etc., but having the limited experience that I do, I'm just not sure what to save for that will give me the biggest jump(s) in quality?

Equipment is as follows:

- Decent home-built computer (P4 3.0ghz, 1GB ram, a lot of HDD space)

- M-Audio Delta 1010

- Yamaha MG16/4 mixer (used primarily for preamps)

- KRK RP5 monitors

- mediocre xlr cables from GC

- 3-4 crappy stands (need new ones, but best thing to put money towards?)

- Mics:
1 x Shure KSM27
2 x Oktava mk012
2 x Shure SM57's
1 x Shure SM58
1 x Blue Kickball

I've also got some acoustic treatments I made out of 2x4's & fiberglass, but I could definitely use a bit more, especially in the corners & also bass traps.

Right now, the only thing I *need* is a couple more mics for 5-piece+ kits. What are your thoughts? For an example of the recordings I'm getting, here's my page:

http://www.myspace.com/stevehenningsgard

Any & all input/discussion is welcome! (Even OT/random posts)

steve I'm gonna say preamps. I had an MG12/4 + Delta 44 and I noticed a big improvement when I upgraded to a Firepod, due primarily to the preamps. And the Firepod pres, although they're Class A, are not exactly legendary.

The next big improvement came with the UAD-1 card

steve.h said:
I'm at the point equipment-wise where I have everything I technically "need" to record some very decent demos/ep's, so now I'm trying to decide what (if anything) to purchase/upgrade next. There's always better plugins, preamps, mics, outboard stuff, etc., but having the limited experience that I do, I'm just not sure what to save for that will give me the biggest jump(s) in quality?

Equipment is as follows:

- Decent home-built computer (P4 3.0ghz, 1GB ram, a lot of HDD space)

- M-Audio Delta 1010

- Yamaha MG16/4 mixer (used primarily for preamps)

- KRK RP5 monitors

- mediocre xlr cables from GC

- 3-4 crappy stands (need new ones, but best thing to put money towards?)

- Mics:
1 x Shure KSM27
2 x Oktava mk012
2 x Shure SM57's
1 x Shure SM58
1 x Blue Kickball

I've also got some acoustic treatments I made out of 2x4's & fiberglass, but I could definitely use a bit more, especially in the corners & also bass traps.

Right now, the only thing I *need* is a couple more mics for 5-piece+ kits. What are your thoughts? For an example of the recordings I'm getting, here's my page:

http://www.myspace.com/stevehenningsgard

Any & all input/discussion is welcome! (Even OT/random posts)
I would focus on more room treatment. You can never have too much. It was the single biggest improvement I ever made. I treated my room with traps, wide band reflection, and everything. My mixes got way better all of a sudden. It made a difference of day and night.

Question: Have you recorded more than 8 channels simultaneously yet? If so are you mixing some channels together in the Yamaha before it goes to the 1010?

RD

In this order...

Room treatment - always
Better preamps
External compressor
Better monitors
Later, better convertors
Your mics are fine.

Back