If I defect from Mac to PC I'll need help.

Thanks to all you people with the help so far. I'm learning a lot.

@Jonesey9 , is yours a tower or a rack? Is it quiet?

Thanks

Thanks to all you people with the help so far. I'm learning a lot.

@Jonesey9 , is yours a tower or a rack? Is it quiet?

Thanks

I'm working on this problem at present. I've decided to go for rack - home built case and rack - with silent cooling system and custom ventilation. If you're handy with wood, metal, plastics and into that sort of thing, then it's another advantage PC has over Mac - in that you can build almost exactly how you want, without breaking seals and voiding warranties (I presume).

I've studied pictures of the silent cases. They appear to sometimes comprise a set of copper tubes, which carry the heat away, to an exchange somewhere on the outside. I'm looking to purchase ready made components to keep things simple - a silent cooler for my AMD chip (provided it will be sufficient for AMD) a fanless PSU for starters...

I'm not suggesting you build your own case (unless the idea lights your fire). There are plenty of options to consider when purchasing a case. Many cases come with cooling system and PSU as part of the plan, as they're designed to be a silent 'system'. Then you just do your build inside.

I'm going for this custom build because I like making stuff and it will be far cheaper for me.

I only say this to show how far you can go with customization, if it tickles your fancy. If you have the budget, then it's worth looking at some of the professional rack mount cases available. I think this is a good space saving option. I've never been a fan of big, clumsy towers. Instead you could have a big, clumsy rack! :) I don't know what you would prefer, but I know what I like.

Last edited:
As with all PC components that you buy, always do a pre-purchase check of the reviews. I have to make budget compromises but with yours, you can probably afford to be fussy. So don't rush anything. Google, google, google, every little piece to check for potential irritations and try to seek out the more impartial online reviewers. I didn't do my homework properly for the blue Hyper Type P Modular PSU I bought. I went by the awards it had won. Afterwards, reading a highly critical review taught me I could have saved myself some money or spent about the same and got better value for money. It's been solid for years but... there you are.

There's a lot of good advise in here. I just want to second one point: for a DAW system you are putting together today, you can get a fine system with either an Intel or AMD cpu.

Back