I need a tad bit of help understanding...

mattsparks

Recording Idiot
Here's my problem... I'm a musician. In a band. I'm very interesting in recording and hope to one day own a professional studio. That's not the problem.

I understand all the components of recording, the pre-amps, the mixer, the mics, etc. I just honestly don't know how to setup everything.

I'm going for a computer based setup. I'm currently using Sonar 2.0. I need to know how I can run the sound into my mixer, into a computer recording consol, and still recording say 10 tracks at once. Get what I'm saying? Can I set it up like so:

The Music -> The Mixer -> The Effects - > The Computer Consol -> The Sound Car -> The Software

would that work?

How would play back go? With a good mixer, I know I can play back in the control room, and then to headphones, right? Am I any where close? PLEASE HELP!

10 I/O 1/4 jack audio card

theres the aadvark and there are a few more like the ST Pro Audio and a few more besides that...i dont know the actual names but check www.americanmusical.com and take a look around the computerware section

oh yeah and another thing

some of the cards have audio outs that you can listen to the mix through the computer....I feel like thats a safer bet sometimes cause what you hear from the mixer isnt always what your computer records...but usually what you hear from your comp speakers is what was recorded.....if your monitored from the board then i dont think you get to hear the effects unless the computer audio is routed back through the board...now fixing that so it doesnt go through the main mix is a doozy

Back