I messed up and need help!!!

Joan

I was happily editing my audio file in Cool Edit, cut and went to paste and hit 'copy' instead. Now I have a file in raw data and I can't get my mp3 audio file, on which I was working, back again. I have no idea what I did. Can anyone help!! Thanks.

A COOL EDIT problem

Looks like I messed up here, too; this should have been posted in the Cool Edit thread. Sorry. Not my day.

It does. But I somehow saved the file. It's hard to explain what I did, but when I went to paste, I hit copy instead.
When it did whatever it did, the waves vanished. When I brought it back up, it appeared to be in raw data. At least that's what it looks like, and you can't hear anything but noise.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you "oops'ed"

I don't know how you will get it back.

you did make a backup right?
right?

No, of course not. :) Lesson learned. But as far as I can tell I unwittingly saved it in a different sample type or some such. It seems like there must be a way to convert it back. But maybe not. Sigh!!

I'm a bit puzzled by what you could have done. OK, fine, you copied something. Copying something should leave the original untouched, so you must have cut, not copied, or nothing would have vanished.

Hitting undo at that point should have stepped you back before the copy and everything should have been fine.

Then you say, "when I brought it back up, it appeared to be in raw data." What do you mean, "brought it back up?" Did you close the file and save the messed-up state, then re-open it? Ouch. And what do you mean by, "it appeared to be in raw data?" If you copy part of a sound file, it is raw data. SO maybe you can explain what you did a little more clearly?

Saved the mess indeed!

Well, I didn't explain it very well, did I? Not even to myself, and the truth is I'm not sure what I did that caused this. I'll have to re record the script, and remember to back it up.
The Saving was what doomed me. Who knows why I did that?
Except that I had an idea the other stuff simply would not be there when I brought the file back up. Wishful thinking!

Yeah... that happens...

The best defense is, Save Often... and when in doubt, close the current file without saving and reopen that latest-saved version. Better having to retrace a few steps than do the whole project over again...

That hurts! I feel your pain!

I learned too. That's why I always use the Save As command now. Then I make sure everythings alright then I go back and delete the extra files I no longer need.

Back