I know nothing

pazmon11

I hope this works out...hello yall.
I know virtually nothing about recording software and hardware. I currently have a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop with an ESS Maestro soundcard, 256 MB of RAM, Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, Guitar Studio, and SONAR. I am thinking I might want to get an audio interface but I don't need many channels because I will probably only lay down one track at a time because I will record mostly only my own vocals and my guitars (electric and acoustic). I am also somewhat poor and cannot afford to drop too much cash on any of this, but I really enjoy writing and recording songs and am willing to wait to have enough money to buy something that will be quality enough to last me a while. So, if ANYBODY has any suggestions as to what I should look at, I would greatly appreciate it. From inerfaces, to mics, to software, I don't have much info on any of this.

Assuming your soundcard doesn't have mic pres fitted you might want to look at getting either a mic. pre-amp or a mixer fitted with mic. pre-amps. This would be connected to your soundcard with the appropriate cable and would enable you to record your guitars and vocals to the laptop. You'll also need at least one mic., for vocals and to stick in front of your guitar amp if you're using one. Shure SM58s and SM57 are common, sound mics to start with, but there are plenty of others. You could have a look in the Microphones forum for ideas on this. You could also do a Search of this site on the question you've asked and see what replies other people have got. The SONAR should be all the recording software you need for now.

thanks for the advice

As for doing a search, I don't even know what to ask at this point...

What is the difference between a preamp and audio interface?

Which is better for what I'm trying to do?

Any specific advice on which products to look at for a small budget?

if anybody's got some super insights for a newbie, they'd be much appreciated

A mic preamp would qualify as an audio interface - an interface between your instruments and your laptop/PC. The mic pre boosts the mic signal to Line level so you get a good strong signal. Examples of cheap but good mic pres recommended here recently are the M-Audio Audio Buddy and the Joe Meek VC3Q. Both can be had for $150 or less, I believe. The VC3Q includes a compressor which is good for vocals (acoustic guitar as well). VC3Q is something you can search on as it's been debated here a lot recently.

Back