I just got the new MOTU 828mkII and am having problems config. it to work w/ Logic

pisces7378

Ok I hope that there is someone out there that already bought one of these new 828mkII from MOTU and can help me configure it to work with Logic. I swear, I read the User's Manual for Windows COVER TO COVER and back again. I know all about the front pannel and rear pannel operations. I know all about the software control panels etc.

But I can't find ANYWHERE where it tells me specifically how to get it to actually work with Logic Audio Platinum v. 5 on a PC.

I have a brand new PC. So I started from scratch.

- I installed the MOTU software first and then I installed Logic Audio.

- I then opend up Logic and it asked me to specify an ASIO driver. So I did that.

- I selected the MOTU FireWire Drivers from the drop down menu.

- I configured the MOTU FW Audio Console to do what I want.

- Then I opened up Logic and selected the Midi-click to tick. Pressed play and the sound began coming through my regular little computer speakers instead of the headphones I have attached to the 828mkII. Nothing was coming out or regestering in in the 828mkII.

Do I have to dis-able the onboard sound through Windows like I had to do with my old Delta-66? Do I have to route some signal to the headphones jack that I didn't have to do with the Delta-66?

It has been three years since I had to configure any kind of sound card and it took me months to get it right even then. I have no clue what all I tried, what worked, what didn't. I feel like I am just getting started again.

Any help guys???

Cheers for any tips,

Mike

Well, I have the 828MkII, but I'm not familiar with the Logic interface. You shouldn't have to disable the onboard sound (but it's probably a good idea), and Logic should have an option somewhere to choose the outputs of your master bus and/or aux busses, etc. This is where you'll have to choose what outputs go where (Main Outs, Headphones outs, etc).

You also may want to check to see what "Windows" is defaulting to as well. In "XP", Go into the "Control Panel", "Sound and Audio Devices", "Audio", and choose the outputs you want to default to under "Sound Playback".

Sorry I can't be more specific, and I hope this helps. :rolleyes:

I have ONLY the ASIO drivers checked. There is no other driver checked on either tab of the Audio Driver menu in Logic.

I have gotten mixed responses at to weather or not I have to disable the onboard sound in Windows. Some say that I do not have to and I can simply use the MOTU for sound when Logic is open and the onboard Windows sound when Logic is closed.

Some are saying that I absolutely HAVE to disable the onboard sound. What is the story?

RE disabling the on-board sound.

The story is... it depends. Most recommend that it's a good idea (I am among those), in order to minimise conflicts between drivers, issues, and also to reserve resources for the task at hand, which is better quality audio. However, if you're not having problems, then do whatever you wish.

As far as Logic is concerned... you may need to make a trip to the Environment, but can't help you there, don't use Logic. You might want to check out the manual... also, check out www.sonikmatter.com, there is a dedicated Logic section on that forum.

Well... I GOT IT!!!

It is fixed. I employeed a technique that has been known in the computer maintanance world for YEARS!!!

I simply de-installed Logic, Re-installed it, switched the PC off, Switched it back on... and the problem had fixed itself.

Ain't Life Grand!?!?!

Back