I have 3500$ to spend, what should I spend it on?

Jovi

Okay, I don't have 3500 YET. I'm considering selling my electric piano which i figured I could get about 3500$ for it. Since I still need a way to play piano/keys, I figured I'd buy a keyboard and amp.
This solves 2 things: 1) My need for somehow playing piano, and 2) Gives me the option to perform live/in a band, which I can't right now due to only a non portable electric piano. I thought that I'd buy a GOOD used keyboard which would save me some money hence it's used, and an amp, together for 1500$ ( am I being realistic there <--?) I'd have 2000$ left. My main purpose right now is hiphop/pop production, and recording solo artists for vocals.

What I have right now is :
Tascam USMK144 II (Interface)
M-Audio Keystation 62 es (Midi controller)
MPD 26 (midi controller)
M-Audio AV40 Monitors
AT4040 (Microphone)
AT ATH M50 (Headphones for monitoring)

I don't have a mixer or any rack equipment.. but my question is, do I really even need it?

I decided I'd spend 100$ on acoustic treatment, since I already made a couple of bass traps.
So I'm leaving you with 1400$ left. What should I buy? I think I'm set for production, I mainly wanna focus on recording audio. Tell me what you think ! I was thinking of splitting the money between a mic and new interface/pre, but forgot I should probably grab some better monitors aswell -.-

Let me know what you guys think !

You're not likely to get a decent reply in a few hours.
Most of those views are probably bots or google returns or something.

Hang tight.

If you have $2,000 left after keyboard and amp purchase and spend $100 on acoustic treatment, then doesn't that leave $1,900, or am I missing something? I think more acoustic treatment will be a popular suggestion!

So if I'm getting this (I'm pretty dense) you have a mediocre interface, a mediocre keyboard MIDI controller, a mediocre pad MIDI controller, a pair of mediocre monitors, a decent LDC microphone, and a pair of headphones. You have $3.5K (in theory), you need a decent keyboard, and you want to gig and record hiphop/pop/solo artists for vocals.

For a keyboard you might look at the new Casio PX-350 ($800 street, 88 key 'arranger' keyboard/keyboard controller with stereo in/out, MIDI in/out, MIDI over USB, 128 bit polyphony, superb weighted keyboard, extensive sample library, sequencer, etc.). I can't entirely recommend this keyboard because mine hasn't yet arrived but it's advertised as being light enough for gigs. I'd also look at either the N.I. Maschine MK2 or the Akai Studio pad controllers. Both have extensive sample libraries, but the problem with both of them is that they HAVE GOT TO BE CONNECTED to a computer and if you're looking to be portable that pretty much means a laptop. You didn't mention what PC you have so this may or not be a deal breaker.

I'd get a better interface, pop for either a SM7B or an RE20, take a look at Ableton LIVE 9 (the $99 version may be sufficiently kickass) paired with an Akai APC40 control surface, and maybe better monitors.

This config pencils out to about $2.1K leaving $1.4K for the laptop, interface, and amp. Should be doable.

Luck.

269 copies of my first CD (available on Amazon) so you can hear what NOT to do on your first recordings! Oh wait a minute, you want to spend $1500 on a keyboard and amp first - make that 153 copies!

$100 for sound treatment? What's that, a box or two of Auralex squares?

Your interface and monitors are both weak links

But short of spending the lot n higher brand nearfiels id maybe consider upgrading the tascam, then maybe add a nice mic pre, GAP 73, GT brick, warm wa12 etc...search in the mic forum, theres loads of choices

Are you planning on just recording your vocals? If not add a couple of mics to giv you choices and flavour..again th mic forum has a load of budget mic threads

You havent mentioned beat production? What about NI Maschine, Arturia Spark, MPC studio...or just a straight up MPC 1000... Essential kit in hip hop??

Maybe supplement it with a deck and a couple of hundred bucks of old vinyl, get back to basics...

Try to buy a few things to get most bang for buck rather than one expensive piece...most of you stuff is fairly entry level so buyng one qulity piece wont improve your sound overall...plus there is a healthy used market for music stuff

Back