I has a apollo twin duo ...

tonesponge

… and I don't know what to do with it. It didn't come with the thunderbolt cable so I can't get started until I buy one. I never heard of this thing until the guy at GC talked me into it after I asked for a "breakout box" for my macbook air. So does this thing work with logic or garage band, or is it it's own sequencer, or what? Any advice?

It's an audio interface with built in dsp to run plugins that were designed by universal audio. It is a high quality unit. You have to buy most if the plugins that run on it separately.

Never, ever, ever buy something because some guy at GC recommends it, without doing any research. The sales staff there are notoriously ill-informed and live off of commision, so you will end up with more than you need. Or, as is your case, something that you can't even use until you buy another $500 add-on. (wait, are you missing the thunderbolt card, or the cable?)

You did get a nice interface, but you could have gotten one for about half the cost that didnt include the dsp for lugins that you have to buy.

Just so you know, I actually like the apollo. I'm going to pull the trigger on one today, but I already have a lot invested in UA plugins and I have researched all of my options.

The thing about your post that threw up the red flag was that you were asking very basic questions pertaining to a really expensive interface. Most people start with an interface that costs $300-400. There are bunches to choose from. Then, once you outgrow, or wish to upgrade, then you get something like the apollo.

Yes, it will work with any sequencer/daw program. No, it doesnt come with one. You will have to purchase that separately as well.

Thanks for the info. I'm one of those obnoxious people who has more money than time, so I'm not really concerned about the money. And I've had a lot of regrets from going cheap based on research into what is the best "bang for the buck." My best recording experience was when I first started and I did exactly what the guy at GC said and I had logic running on a PC (yes, this was awhile back). I've been held back for too long now by the mbox, and I'm just trying to get back into logic in the best possible way. My macbook air does have the thunderbolt port. At this point, I have the thunderbolt cable, and after waiting about an hour for the software for this unit to load, I find I now have to upgrade my OSX version. It's taking soooo long. D-:

I would not recommend using Garageband with it. Kind of like taking the Ferrari to Walmart.

I have the Apollo Duo and love it. If the Twin was available when I bought the Duo, I would have gotten that instead. I don't need all these inputs and outputs.

Universal Audio has a forum that is pretty informative. It was useful when trying to get the Apollo to work with Win7 and the firewire card. What a PITA that was. Farview, be sure to have their recommend firewire card if that's the option you will be using.

OK, so I finally got everything finished, and in the process, I bought the upgrade for 3 plugins of my choice. What should I get?

I figure I might want the Lexicon reverbs and some kind of compressor. I'm not sure which compressor though. And what should my third plugin be? Something for mastering? I was thinking I might send my stems to a reputable mastering house and get the pro treatment. I hate guitar amp emulators, and I have tens of thousands of dollars worth of real amps on hand, so I see no reason to get those plugins. What would you get?

I love the EMT-140 plug. The only reverb I use.

I use the Neve 88RS a lot as well as the freebie 1176. I recently bought the fatso plug which I'm only now starting to use. So far, so good. (The fatso plug has so much going on, lots to learn!!)

Ditto for the EMT 140. Hated reverb....never could dial any plug-in correctly. Then I bought a UAD and the EMT was one of the first plugs I bought (back when it was Plate 140 and a bit cheaper....it changed only a few months later)....and my world opened up. VERY easy to dial in, you can't really mess it up, and even if you have too much reverb, it is pleasing enough to not be too much of a detriment.

I only have UAD-1 mind you, so some of the newer plugs I can't use (the Trident EQ was the last uad-1 plug). I like the Pultec and Helios for EQ, and the LA2A for compression.

Farview, be sure to have their recommend firewire card if that's the option you will be using.
I actually just changed my mind and I'm going with a Motu 896. There are too many stories about how much of a pain it is to get it to work with a PC. PC compatibility was an obvious afterthought and that kind of rubs me the wrong way.

Back