Thread: I can't hear playback

Thanks

I can't hear playback

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello. I'm very new to recording with computers, though I have a digital 16-track recorder and I've used it a lot.

Now I've got a Focusrite 18i20 sound card and I have installed Ableton Live Lite, and of course ASIO4ALL. I can record sound on an Audio track there (I recorded my Spanish guitar with a microphone), the waves are there, they're black and not grey, but when I push play I don't hear anything. I don't hear it either from the computer or from the sound card. I've tried several things (activating and deactivating buttons, messing with Focusrite Control) but to no avail.

If anyone could help me; learning is quite frustrating if you can't even get started.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    I'm not familiar with Ableton specifically, but in my DAW (Mixcraft Pro Studio 8) there are preferences in the settings for playback device. Basically, you have to set that to be whatever device is providing your Windows playback (usually whatever device you have your headphones are plugged in to). It might be listed as ASIO4All or your Focusrite.

Also, can you hear other sounds on your PC? If so, then check what your Windows playback is set to, and make Ableton match that.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    I had the same problem when I first used my DAW. I had to play around with the I/O Monitoring buttons as my track was playing back. This finally routed the playback to the proper output. Doesn't Ableton have an AUTO setting in the Monitor section so you won't have to switch back and forth?
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    Start with THIS link. You should not ever use ASIO4All unless last result need for crappy interface that does not have drivers. Focusrite does have good drivers. Use them!!!!

Start there man. If those drivers don't work then start Googling for your OS.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thread Information