I am a newbie jerk! Pre-amp question

jgetman

Here's the deal:

I record for fun. I record one instrument at a time. I'd record onto a boom box if it was multitrack. Currently, I record onto a Tascam Analog 4 track. Nothing professional, just fun.

So, I want to do it on my computer now. I am not a techie. While experimenting with shareware recording software, I found that I can attach a mic or guitar to my Tascam, attach the Tascam out to my mic-in soundcard port and, voila, sound is recorded.

Is it Metallica-level production? Hell, no.

My questions are these:

1) Can I mess around with post-production effects that come with the software and have some low-fi fun, or will it be wretched?

2) Does the Tascam qualify as a pre-amp (not a good one, but does it fit the technical description?)

3) If I only record one instrument at a time, and I don't need professional quality, why do I need a soundcard with Mac-style audio-in ports?

Thanks for your help. Love the forum.

Josh

1. Should be okay.

2. Yes, the Tascam pre-amps are pre-amps. Several people on this board use them.

3. Upgrading the soundcard is usually for the purpose of upgrading the audio quality, so you probably don't need to bother.

Like I said, I'm not much of a techie, so I'm sorry if it's unclear.

My soundcard has the single "mic-in" connector.

Some Mac soundcards have the "black and red" audio in ports, like on the back of a receiver or vcr.

That's the distinction I was trying to make.

There is a difference. Most sound cards have a 1/8"
"line in" and an 1/8" "mic in". Usually, the "mic in" really sucks ...even for goofaround purposes. The "mac style" rca in's are not necessary, like atwork said. But if you've only got a "mic in", and you can't use it for "line in", I'd highly recommend at least a cheap sound card (almost all of them have separate mic and line ins) to record at "line" level.

Reaction?...not really....

you have a stereo input...it should be black....the signal from your 4 track is line level and needs to go into the line input.....

does yours have a black one?...

>Does the Tascam qualify as a pre-amp (not a good one, but does it fit the technical description?)

I used mine for years before getting a dedicated pre.

yeah- it works. And it sort of matches the noise level of your soundcard, so go for it!

Back