Hp Entertainment Laptop and Tascam us-144L Recording/playback issues.

therealfactor

I've had my Hp laptop for about 2 years now. It has 4 gigs of ram. Actually, if anyone needs to look any computer stuff up on it it is the hp pavillion dv7. It is a 64 bit, but I don't think that's much relevant anymore as I have recently installed the windows 7 32bit in place of the 64 bit I had on it. My tascam is the US-144L.

I've built a studio in the basement and wish to record through a mixer into both line channels of the tascam.

However, that seems more and more each day to simply be impossible.

It started with the said tascam and my 64 bit operating system. I would have glitches in playback and recording. I use ableton live 8. I had tried using every latency setting on the ASIO option, and every buffer setting on input and output on the DX driver option --no success. I then used my lead guitarists Lexicon Omega and had the same issues. After reading into it I figured it was a compatability issues with the 64 bit windows 7, so I reformatted and installed windows 7 32bit.

Mind you, the tascam used to be my fathers and worked fine on his computer, and the Omega obviously worked on my guitarists computer --both running xp (because xp never has problems with anything!).

I now have win7 32bit and can not use either. The omega continues to glitch at all settings, and the tascam will record and play back with perfect clarity --but then stop and freeze up for 1-3 seconds and resume either recording or playing. I obviously do not have this issue running through the computer speakers or computer microphone --so I'd say it's safe to rule out ableton as being the issue. I have no interest in getting the omega to work as it isn't mine. And the tascam has playback issues on both ableton and any type of audio file. Some time's it'll go up to a minute without pause, sometimes every few seconds.

I've installed and uninstalled the two most recent drivers at tascams site, one labeled for win7 32bit, the other simply labeled for windows 32 bit. No improvement. I've installed the latest firmware on the site as well. I've turned off norton, unplugged all usb devices (mouse, laptop fan), and disabled all wireless networks --hell, I've even lowered the resolution on the computer!

I've done infinite number of searches regarding the issue, and found nothing like it. I'm aware that the tascam isn't brand spankin new, but it does offer a win7 driver. I've used different usb chords (I'm desperate!), and all 3 usb slots --trying each thing I've mentioned before in each slot. I've made the tascam the primary audio device, and left it as not being the primary audio device.

I can't imagine what I haven't tried, or what the issue could be. I apologize that this is so much to read, I just wanted to be specific in the strange issue at hand and the possible solutions I've tried to rectify it to save your time.

Thank you for any help you guys. After research and personal thought I've decided this is just too strange of a problem for me to resolve via research. Any help is much appreciated! I'll try anything.

I once had a Lexicon Alpha on W7 32 that would intermittently stop working. Then other things unrelated stopped working. Ended up being a virus so I did a fresh install of OS and everything went back to normal.

Sounds like you have tried everything I could think of. Unless it is an issue with setup in Ableton which I have no experience with.

Maybe try posting this in the Ableton forum.

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply!

The os is brand spankin' new, so it couldn't really be a virus.

And the ableton I've owned for 2 months now. I don't think it is an ableton issue in that I have the exact issue with ANY audio playback --whether from youtube, itunes, or any program I choose to play an audio from on my computer. All sound. And it's seemingly random when it happens because I've watched the cpu meter and tried playing audio to see if it was some sort of cpu spike issue.

Man I'm stumped too. There has to be some funky setting somewhere.

Wish you the best of luck. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will save the day.:D

I'm assuming you have done the whole Google search for 'optimizing windows 7 for audio' thing. There has got to be something interfering with your signal in there. :(

Just a thought. I read somewhere about having to manually remove old drivers before installing new ones is necessary sometimes.

I had to track at 48000 and make sure the recorder also is set at 48000 along with the creative card.I got severe sync problems until I reset my stuff, now no problems. you might try that first. :wave.Lets try with this if doesn't work then call the software engineer to repair it.

Back