How to use VSTi/DXi instruments WITHOUT Cubase or the like... ?

jumpingflash

HI !

I would like to know if there is a way to use VSTi instruments (or DXi) without a software like Logic/Cubase...use them as standalond in a sort of VST or DX host (as i have a spare PC in wich i could run soft synth alone..)

Thanx for any help.

As I understand it, all DXI/VSTi's require a host to operate.

However, there are other, less expensive programs that can act as hosts. WaveLab works this way, as well I believe that some versions of Cubasis (the much less-expensive stripped-down version of Cubase) support VSTi's.

It depends on the Softsynth.

All of Native Instruments softsynth plug-ins can be run on their own. I load FM7 all the time without being in Cakewalk and play away.

THanx for the answers !

But that's exactly what i don't want : to have Cubase or Wavelab working...

There is a VSTi host for Mac, i was wondering if there was something similar to that for the PC.

Andif i want to use the second PC just as a sampler, what would be the best program ? ( I have Akai CD's as well as Soundfont but i am willing to buy some Giga files (mainly strings) and use Gigastudio)

Do yourself a favor and hang out at Kvr (http://www.kvr-vst.com/index.php). There you can find all kind of freebies, and ask strange questions about software, too. Most of the indy plug developers hang there, and they have a section of forums for the small developers to help you out.

As for your question, you could pick up a copy of Fruity Loops and it will handle all your DX and VST plugins. I think there is a lighter version called Fruity Express, but don't quote me on that.

Also, look up Xlutop Chainer while at KvR. It is a completely standalone app that can be used for real-time fx from external outputs, or as a virtual instrument with midi-in function. Unfortunately, it is VST only, but it is cheap ($60) and solid.

Layyyter . . .

Back