How to record lead guitar track separately from the playback track?

jss1

Hello.

I have been recording with my electric guitar. I have plugged it to the back of my computer and I have no problems recording the first track.

Now what i want to do is i want to be able to listen to the first track playback while recording lead guitar on the second track, but when i do so the playback (rhytm guitar) will also be recorded on the second track along with the lead guitar.

I dont want that! I want them to stay separate (while still being able to listen to the rhytm track while recording the lead track.)

I have no idea what kind of settings i should have on my computer to do so, but I believe it´s possible since I used to know a guy who could do this on his computer.

Can anyone help me?

Hello.

I have been recording with my electric guitar. I have plugged it to the back of my computer and I have no problems recording the first track.

Now what i want to do is i want to be able to listen to the first track playback while recording lead guitar on the second track, but when i do so the playback (rhytm guitar) will also be recorded on the second track along with the lead guitar.

I dont want that! I want them to stay separate (while still being able to listen to the rhytm track while recording the lead track.)

I have no idea what kind of settings i should have on my computer to do so, but I believe it´s possible since I used to know a guy who could do this on his computer.

Can anyone help me?

What software are you using?

It's a matter of assigning the proper input (lead guitar) to a new channel.

It's a matter of assigning the proper input (lead guitar) to a new channel.

So how can I do that?

There is an option with the adobe audition to select input and output for each track. I have tried different combinations but the result is still the same.

For input there is only one option for stereo and two options for mono. So does the problem come from there?

Is it a laptop or desktop computer?

I've noticed with some laptops that their internal mic will continue to pick up sounds even when you have the line inputs or external mic selected...kinda’ weird...so, if you're playing back through your speakers, the computer picks that up PLUS what you are recording.
And…in Adobe Audition, it took a bit of fiddling with the inputs options and software faders to get it set so the internal mic was OFF and not picking up the playback coming from the speakers. If it's not a simple input assignment issue like the guys above mentioned...check the internal mic issue.
I've not seen that on any desktops, only laptops...so if it's a desktop, it's probably the "simpler" input assignment issue they mentioned.

What about the Stereo VS Mono L/R selections...check them....it may be Audition is combining both signals into a stereo mix.

I don't use Audition a lot, so I’ve not delved into its “features” other than for basic on-the-fly stuff off the Internet when I need to at my daytime gig...I have a more robust, dedicated DAW in my studio, and if you really want to do some tracking/mixing…I would get something else, I don't think Audition is that robust...but hey, it's free. :)

If you want a cheap, but quite robust multitrack DAW...check out N-Track...for $64 you really can't beat it!

http://ntrack.com/

Very huge DAW package for the price! I bought a version of N-Track waaaaaay back, years ago, when it first came out. I think it cost the same back then. What's cool, is that I've been sent the updated versions every time they come out, for like the last 7-8 years now...and never had to pay another penny for them, they are free...for life!
I don't and haven't used N-Track in years....'cuz I have something that fits my needs better...but it's come a long way from those early days. The developer, Flavio Antonioli, is a really cool Italian dude and he's not looking just to get rich off of endless updates/upgrades…he does it mostly out of passion.

Is it a laptop or desktop computer?

I've noticed with some laptops that their internal mic will continue to pick up sounds even when you have the line inputs or external mic selected...kinda’ weird...so, if you're playing back through your speakers, the computer picks that up PLUS what you are recording.
And…in Adobe Audition, it took a bit of fiddling with the inputs options and software faders to get it set so the internal mic was OFF and not picking up the playback coming from the speakers. If it's not a simple input assignment issue like the guys above mentioned...check the internal mic issue.
I've not seen that on any desktops, only laptops...so if it's a desktop, it's probably the "simpler" input assignment issue they mentioned.

What about the Stereo VS Mono L/R selections...check them....it may be Audition is combining both signals into a stereo mix.

I don't use Audition a lot, so I’ve not delved into its “features” other than for basic on-the-fly stuff off the Internet when I need to at my daytime gig...I have a more robust, dedicated DAW in my studio, and if you really want to do some tracking/mixing…I would get something else, I don't think Audition is that robust...but hey, it's free. :)

If you want a cheap, but quite robust multitrack DAW...check out N-Track...for $64 you really can't beat it!

http://ntrack.com/

Very huge DAW package for the price! I bought a version of N-Track waaaaaay back, years ago, when it first came out. I think it cost the same back then. What's cool, is that I've been sent the updated versions every time they come out, for like the last 7-8 years now...and never had to pay another penny for them, they are free...for life!
I don't and haven't used N-Track in years....'cuz I have something that fits my needs better...but it's come a long way from those early days. The developer, Flavio Antonioli, is a really cool Italian dude and he's not looking just to get rich off of endless updates/upgrades…he does it mostly out of passion.

Also, if you're looking for a cheap DAW, you can check out Cockos Reaper. Anyway, about your problem. Make sure you aren't using "Stereo mix" In the sound card properties

If you're using the internal sound card and Windows, you might have to unclick something with the Windows Audio properties mixer. I just don't remember what it is because I never use the internal soundcard.

You should search for it here because it's been brought up before and someone explained what to do. Go back at least a year and try different keywords for searching...

good luck

[edit] Oh wait, I just read Squibble's reply, that might be it.

Back