Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to record lead guitar track separately from the playback track?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Question How to record lead guitar track separately from the playback track?

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello.

    I have been recording with my electric guitar. I have plugged it to the back of my computer and I have no problems recording the first track.

    Now what i want to do is i want to be able to listen to the first track playback while recording lead guitar on the second track, but when i do so the playback (rhytm guitar) will also be recorded on the second track along with the lead guitar.

    I dont want that! I want them to stay separate (while still being able to listen to the rhytm track while recording the lead track.)

    I have no idea what kind of settings i should have on my computer to do so, but I believe it´s possible since I used to know a guy who could do this on his computer.

    Can anyone help me?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Éire
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,738
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    8408801
    Quote Originally Posted by jss1 View Post
    Hello.

    I have been recording with my electric guitar. I have plugged it to the back of my computer and I have no problems recording the first track.

    Now what i want to do is i want to be able to listen to the first track playback while recording lead guitar on the second track, but when i do so the playback (rhytm guitar) will also be recorded on the second track along with the lead guitar.

    I dont want that! I want them to stay separate (while still being able to listen to the rhytm track while recording the lead track.)

    I have no idea what kind of settings i should have on my computer to do so, but I believe it´s possible since I used to know a guy who could do this on his computer.

    Can anyone help me?
    What software are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercreep View Post
    It's a kid throwing rocks at cops... Generally speaking I think cops shoot way too many people... That said, I have managed to live my entire life without ever throwing a rock at a cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by legionserial View Post
    People don't need Macs, they need educating.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by philbagg View Post
    What software are you using?
    I have been using Kristal Audio Engine and Adobe Audition 3.0.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    377
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    964343
    It's a matter of assigning the proper input (lead guitar) to a new channel.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LDS View Post
    It's a matter of assigning the proper input (lead guitar) to a new channel.
    So how can I do that?

    There is an option with the adobe audition to select input and output for each track. I have tried different combinations but the result is still the same.

    For input there is only one option for stereo and two options for mono. So does the problem come from there?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Trending
    Posts
    19,468
    Thanks
    393
    Thanked 964 Times in 841 Posts
    Rep Power
    21473792
    Is it a laptop or desktop computer?

    I've noticed with some laptops that their internal mic will continue to pick up sounds even when you have the line inputs or external mic selected...kinda’ weird...so, if you're playing back through your speakers, the computer picks that up PLUS what you are recording.
    And…in Adobe Audition, it took a bit of fiddling with the inputs options and software faders to get it set so the internal mic was OFF and not picking up the playback coming from the speakers. If it's not a simple input assignment issue like the guys above mentioned...check the internal mic issue.
    I've not seen that on any desktops, only laptops...so if it's a desktop, it's probably the "simpler" input assignment issue they mentioned.

    What about the Stereo VS Mono L/R selections...check them....it may be Audition is combining both signals into a stereo mix.

    I don't use Audition a lot, so I’ve not delved into its “features” other than for basic on-the-fly stuff off the Internet when I need to at my daytime gig...I have a more robust, dedicated DAW in my studio, and if you really want to do some tracking/mixing…I would get something else, I don't think Audition is that robust...but hey, it's free.

    If you want a cheap, but quite robust multitrack DAW...check out N-Track...for $64 you really can't beat it!

    http://ntrack.com/

    Very huge DAW package for the price! I bought a version of N-Track waaaaaay back, years ago, when it first came out. I think it cost the same back then. What's cool, is that I've been sent the updated versions every time they come out, for like the last 7-8 years now...and never had to pay another penny for them, they are free...for life!
    I don't and haven't used N-Track in years....'cuz I have something that fits my needs better...but it's come a long way from those early days. The developer, Flavio Antonioli, is a really cool Italian dude and he's not looking just to get rich off of endless updates/upgrades…he does it mostly out of passion.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    921
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    4010573
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    Is it a laptop or desktop computer?

    I've noticed with some laptops that their internal mic will continue to pick up sounds even when you have the line inputs or external mic selected...kinda’ weird...so, if you're playing back through your speakers, the computer picks that up PLUS what you are recording.
    And…in Adobe Audition, it took a bit of fiddling with the inputs options and software faders to get it set so the internal mic was OFF and not picking up the playback coming from the speakers. If it's not a simple input assignment issue like the guys above mentioned...check the internal mic issue.
    I've not seen that on any desktops, only laptops...so if it's a desktop, it's probably the "simpler" input assignment issue they mentioned.

    What about the Stereo VS Mono L/R selections...check them....it may be Audition is combining both signals into a stereo mix.

    I don't use Audition a lot, so I’ve not delved into its “features” other than for basic on-the-fly stuff off the Internet when I need to at my daytime gig...I have a more robust, dedicated DAW in my studio, and if you really want to do some tracking/mixing…I would get something else, I don't think Audition is that robust...but hey, it's free.

    If you want a cheap, but quite robust multitrack DAW...check out N-Track...for $64 you really can't beat it!

    http://ntrack.com/

    Very huge DAW package for the price! I bought a version of N-Track waaaaaay back, years ago, when it first came out. I think it cost the same back then. What's cool, is that I've been sent the updated versions every time they come out, for like the last 7-8 years now...and never had to pay another penny for them, they are free...for life!
    I don't and haven't used N-Track in years....'cuz I have something that fits my needs better...but it's come a long way from those early days. The developer, Flavio Antonioli, is a really cool Italian dude and he's not looking just to get rich off of endless updates/upgrades…he does it mostly out of passion.
    Also, if you're looking for a cheap DAW, you can check out Cockos Reaper. Anyway, about your problem. Make sure you aren't using "Stereo mix" In the sound card properties
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    14,667
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 646 Times in 589 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474864
    If you're using the internal sound card and Windows, you might have to unclick something with the Windows Audio properties mixer. I just don't remember what it is because I never use the internal soundcard.

    You should search for it here because it's been brought up before and someone explained what to do. Go back at least a year and try different keywords for searching...

    good luck

    [edit] Oh wait, I just read Squibble's reply, that might be it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Juaquin Valley
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I use Reaper and never have that problem.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. looking to record guitar track on cpu
    By philproulx in forum Newbies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-19-2010, 17:37
  2. Dual-BR-1600CDs – A 16-Track Recording / 32-Track Playback Solution
    By Gene Cookmeyer in forum Roland, Boss, VS Series Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2009, 05:07
  3. Instrumental Track - Lead Guitar ... is it good?
    By gcapitani in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2008, 09:10
  4. Delayed playback during 2nd track record
    By amusedbytune in forum Newbies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2002, 13:04
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2001, 04:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •