How to project display from desktop to laptop

Have a dell desktop and a dell laptop...both windows10...neither one has miracast...so how can I get the desktop to use the small laptop screen as a monitor?.. Could a Vga or other cable help? I don't have hdmi on either computer... I do have an Ethernet cable... Both computer are wireless... Only the laptop has Bluetooth...Are there Microsoft store apps that do this?... Can I buy hardware that will?...thanks...

Last edited:
If all you need is a second monitor, take a look at nearby thrift stores. I recently bought a Proscan 19" LED TV for $10 plus tax and it has several types of video inputs. Connected it up to my laptop via a VGA cable and went into video setup and selected the TV as a second monitor. Works well for what I'm doing with it.

What it has for inputs.....

Attachments

• proscan.jpg
    proscan.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 7
Samsung's SideSync app might do the trick. It's mainly for Mobile device to PC via wi-fi or usb using separate apps for mobile and PC. You could
just DL the PC app to your Laptop and PC and see if that will work.

SideSync | Samsung US

I am curious why you would want two computers to share monitors in that way.

Video monitors are cheap. You can run a monitor from a USB cable if you don't have a HDMI port. Just need the correct adapter or whatever. Well, and hopefully your lappys are able to do that. That would be a quite old system tho that couldn't.

Again, why I ask why you would want to share the screens from two computers? Unless you want to share documents or whatever between them.

I was not aware that you COULD use a laptop screen as a monitor? I cannot see me needing such a facility but would still like to know how!

I have had a bit of a battle with display devices over the last month or so. Just yesterday I wanted to put this g6 i3 HP laptop up on my JVC 42" Smart'ish TV (mainly to get digital sound) via HDMI. The laptop said the screens were shared (Windows key+P) but the TV was blank then went to white noise on screen. Bugger! Long short I needed to do a "hard reset" on the TV, i.e mains off and on.

Yes, get a monitor from a charity shop. I have bought 3 in the last year or two, non coat me more than £15. I bought a cracking lil' Bush FSTV from Scope, £25 22" WS, super picture and did not F about with the HDMI feed like the JVC!

Dave.

I am curious why you would want two computers to share monitors in that way.

Video monitors are cheap. You can run a monitor from a USB cable if you don't have a HDMI port. Just need the correct adapter or whatever. Well, and hopefully your lappys are able to do that. That would be a quite old system tho that couldn't.

Again, why I ask why you would want to share the screens from two computers? Unless you want to share documents or whatever between them.

Money-small apartment-want to be innovative like everyone else??... Pick one...the hinge broke on the laptop and it developed too many quirks I'd call them, but the screen is still good.

+1 to those before. I'd try to grab a second screen from a charity shop or something.
Using a laptop screen as external display for another computer isn't a common thing and there's rarely, if ever, a provision for it.

Software solutions may exist, as some of the guys mentioned, but I suspect those will primarily mirror, rather than extend?

These days finding a used 32" tv with hdmi for next to nothing should be very easy, never mind a little 19" 4:3 or whatever.

If you do go the thrift shop route, do try to find an outlet to power it up. Usually you can get into a setup menu with a button and it'll give an idea how well the display is working. The TV I bought did not have the remote, but I was able to find the instructions online which got me through what was needed to set it up.

If you do go the thrift shop route, do try to find an outlet to power it up. Usually you can get into a setup menu with a button and it'll give an idea how well the display is working. The TV I bought did not have the remote, but I was able to find the instructions online which got me through what was needed to set it up.

My Bush did not come with a remote but I had a universal that worked it then I ordered one online for about 12 quid. You can get a remote for almost anything.

Mark, just realized, all mains gear sold in UK (EU?) must pass a PAT test which would be pretty pointless if it didn't work!

Dave.

Also I have had good luck with cheap AOC monitors. $80 for a 21.5" LED monitor. Kind of disposable at that price. Good enough resolution for DAW work. 1600x900.

My Bush did not come with a remote but I had a universal that worked it then I ordered one online for about 12 quid. You can get a remote for almost anything.

Mark, just realized, all mains gear sold in UK (EU?) must pass a PAT test which would be pretty pointless if it didn't work!

Dave.
Yeah, I did get one from eBay for another cheap TV/monitor I got a year or so back. This recent monitor is simply to use as second monitor for Karaoke use from a laptop. More of an experiment than much else, so wanted keep the $$$ to a minimum.

Back