How much difference might I hear?

sixer2007

Hey guys,

I use a pair of M-Audio AV40s as my main monitors. They have 2 types of connections; 2 balanced outs, or a pair of RCA outs. Since i've had them, I've always used a simple RCA -> 1/8" jack from the monitors to my interface's headphone out.
This cord is on the fritz and i keep having to jiggle it so that both speakers work properly, so i thought it was time to upgrade to some balanced 1/4" cables like the monitors are meant to use. So my question is, do balanced cables actually provide better quality that my current RCAs? And how much difference do you think i'll notice with the new cables?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure those are INPUTs on the speakers! :facepalm: What interface do you have? You should be connecting the monitor outputs to the speakers, not the headphone out. The headphone output is non-balanced, so adapting to balanced cables from it will do you no good! If your interface has XLR or TRS balanced outputs, use balanced cables to the monitors.

Oh crap! I totally mixed up my words. Right, as of now i'm running my headphone out (Alesis io2 express) to my monitor's RCA in. I ordered some balanced TRS cables to go from the io2 balanced outs (L/R) into my monitors balanced ins. So, do you think my quality will improve a noticeable difference?

Balanced is to reduce interference (hum, buzz etc) over long cable runs. That's the only improvement.
If it's not been humming/buzzing until now you wont notice an improvement.

I have had a bit of hum in the past (more of a faint crackle actually), but I think it's due to using my interface's headphone jack rather than the real balanced outputs. That interface is really not so spectacular. So, those cables are on their way. Maybe the crackle will go away, and if not, I want a better interface anyway :listeningmusic:

Thanks for the help!

Back