How many plugins can you get?!

How many plug-ins would a plug-in plugger plug in if a a plug-in plugger could plug in plug-ins?

:D

Sorry, I'll have a more serious response for you when I get home from work and can test out my recording computer.

Chris

i have a 500 mhc celeron and i usually run 2 reverbs,2 compressors, usually 1 delay...there may be 1 or 2 more depending on the song....thats about my limit and i have to crank the buffers for it to work.........

800 mHz PIII, 512M ram. Cubse VST 5.1

I mostly use the compression "plug" that's built into cubase, but it can't be that much more efficient than a plug. I also tend to use VST rather than DirectX because they use less CPU.

I have one tune that's 20 tracks audio and 4 channels VST drums (with 16 being the most that play at once) and I have:

4 effects set up on sends.
16 compressors :eek:
3 "Tube" plugs
8 EQ's (also built into Cubase)

And the processor is running at 70%

I have another tune that was tracked MUCH better but uses VST instruments. I have, oh, 16 channels of virtual instruments, 3 4"Tube" plugs, 4 Eq's, and 4 effects set up on the sends. And the processor maxs out if I move the mouse around too much.

Something about putting plugs on software synths eats CPU.

Chris

I know you're looking for some sort of an idea of what to expect from a system.....but this question is really impossible to answer.

It all depends on the plugin. I have plugins that suck 30% or more of my CPU power. I have other plugins that suck 5% or less. Even plugins of the same variety....for instance, I can insert maybe 5-10 freeverb reverb plugins, but only 2 Waves TrueVerb plugins before my 850Mhz is running in the red (>70% usage).

It's really a big comprimise between quality and performance in most cases. We are soooo far from having a single processor that can handle a large load of super high quality plugins. We'll be comprimising for a long time to come.

If you want to know which system will work best for your budget, then the answer is: the fastest you can afford.

Slackmaster 2000

I agree completely. I guess what I am really asking is how fast a computer do I need to do 24 tracks with cubase's eqs/compressors on all tracks, as well as, say, 3 more FreeVerb-type plugs as sends. I plan on buying one of those DSP cards at some point to get more power for the needy plugins. By the way, I use a mac, but I'm always interested in hearing PC setups too. ;p

Try this.....

If you have recorded a dozen or more tracks.....
Insert the plug in on the desired track, adjust it, then do a remix of that track and your new track will have the effect and you can then turn off the plug in for that track, etc...etc...and so on
Sometimes I import the track into Cool edit pro or Sound forge, process the effect into it, then it will be saved with effects when you go back to your base program.
Of course this is good when you dont have the power to use several plug ins at once.

Back