Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: How many people can hear the difference between...

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I have tried and failed, and how can anyone teach you something so intangible? We cannot agree on the uniformity of hearing and I just have to reject your assertion as I have no evidence these skills can be taught, learned or developed without them being present to a degree in the first place.

However - I am quite willing to believe some people can hear these things, but this does not mean that gift is available to everyone. You can develop a skill, but you cannot (I believe) teach people to have something their brain is unable to process. If you have this ability - it's a gift. I simply don't. Nothing in my experience shakes me from this conviction. I added in the other senses simply because the problem is the same. Not everyone can do everything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    I have tried and failed, and how can anyone teach you something so intangible? We cannot agree on the uniformity of hearing and I just have to reject your assertion as I have no evidence these skills can be taught, learned or developed without them being present to a degree in the first place.

However - I am quite willing to believe some people can hear these things, but this does not mean that gift is available to everyone. You can develop a skill, but you cannot (I believe) teach people to have something their brain is unable to process. If you have this ability - it's a gift. I simply don't. Nothing in my experience shakes me from this conviction. I added in the other senses simply because the problem is the same. Not everyone can do everything.
    With respect, I think he was just purely trolling. I got suspicious the second he made that outlandish claim about "everyone being able to do everything" and then further, never once even trying to present any kind of evidence. If ANYTHING he was talking about was common knowledge in any scientific circles, evidence would exist. He seemed to want to draw attention to his nonsense, confuse people to get HIS point about this thread being "pointless" more in the spotlight.

What's pointless is making absurd claims without any proof, not the actually interesting discussion that's been going on here.

Thanks
    This turned into Ben Hur, the question was "How many people can hear the difference between..." so its can YOU hear the difference between. Not this other person can or can not LOL

When I first saw the post I just knew it would turn into this

Alan.

Thanks
    Not sure if it is correct as I have never really bothered to try it and now my hearing is DEFINITELY not as good as it was back 30yrs ago, but it was told to me that it is impossible to carry across dead accurately, sound from one listening to another, especially if the listener did not know what medium was being played, so that no pre-conditioned perspective could come into play.

In other words, if you play (say) a song that has been copied to (say) a CD and then about a minute later play it back on (say) an equally good medium whether it be high quality MP3, MD, DAT, 24bit data CD, etc, your ears can not hear the difference --- naturally all through the same audio system and at the exact same volume.

It would be most interesting if such a test could be carried out and the results noted !!!!!!!

David

Thanks
    Good grief!

Thanks
    well, i can say this with certainty. listening to an original wave file vs a soundcloud file of the same song i can hear everything that is missing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky123 View Post
    well, i can say this with certainty. listening to an original wave file vs a soundcloud file of the same song i can hear everything that is missing
    Don't you mean: i can't hear everything that is missing

Alan.

Thanks
    Just tried it on 3 computers. MacBook - no difference, pretty average but acceptable. My video editor - through my studio monitor system - can't decide. first play I thought I could hear something different, second play not sure - third play - gave up because I can't be objective. Studio computer and interface (presonus) Yes - there is a difference between the file I uploaded and the one that comes back. again, though - I cannot put into words what I'm hearing/not hearing. I like the wav better. Why? I really don't know.

Thanks

Thanks
    Interesting - I got 80% on the James Blake and dixie chicks, quite sobering!
    Hrm
    You
    probably can't
    hear the difference between the lossy and lossless samples (p >= 0.10) ?
    You got 64% correct
    There is a 23% likelihood of getting this or a more extreme score by chance ?
    Track Correct p-value ?
    The Killers 60% (p >= 0.020)
    James Blake 80% (p >= 0.020)
    Daft Punk 40% (p >= 0.020)
    The Eagles 60% (p >= 0.020)
    Dixie Chicks 80% (p >= 0.020)

Thread Information