How many audio tracks can a 5400 rpm drive record/playback

shutupandshave

So I am going to rip out the DVD re-writer in my i7 820qm that I rarely use and replace it with a hard disk.

Currently I have a 500gb 7200rpm drive that I am going to replace with a hybrid drive. I have about 90gb free, and if I move all the files I think are "moveable" I will still only have about 200 gb free. Bearing in mind I dont want to go below about 50gb free as that's going to cause problems with the drive - it doesn't leave me with a whole lot of head room for audio projects.

I was wondering if anyone had any data regarding the size of projects I can run/record with a 1tb 5400 rpm drive as my SECOND drive if I was going to run straight from that. This is a secondary studio machine I am using for messing about with, e.g. recording myself acoustically (so three tracks max) and comping some of the projects recorded in the studio (which can become quite big).
I COULD get a 7200rpm 750gb drive, but I'd rather have the extra 250gb if at all possible.

4 tracks 24 bit 44.1 with the recorder running continuous for 24 days 1 hour, 8 mins will equal 1 TB.

say your average song is 4 mins:
=15 songs per hour. 8657 songs= 1TB Of course mixing each one down to a stereo file will reduce that amount.

Do you mean simultaneous tracks? Depends on how well written your DAW is and what OS you're running. Under ideal conditions? Simultaneous recording of around 80-100 tracks, depending on the drive, or simultaneous playback of somewhere on the order of 150 tracks, depending on the drive. Chances are, 5400 RPM should be fast enough for you. Probably. But to know for certain, you'd need somebody with fairly similar hardware, OS, and DAW.

Back