How to have only one of three drives at startup

If I'm not mistaken i can use one of three ssd drives that are in my computer for bootup or startup. The main drive (c/: drive-OS drive) is the one i would want to have startup. Would this make the startup quicker? By somehow eliminating the other two (files and instruments-and backup) drives. If so, in windows10 Pro how do i do this?

If I'm not mistaken i can use one of three ssd drives that are in my computer for bootup or startup. The main drive (c/: drive-OS drive) is the one i would want to have startup. Would this make the startup quicker? By somehow eliminating the other two (files and instruments-and backup) drives. If so, in windows10 Pro how do i do this?

AFAIK you need to get into the BIOS, now called "UEFI" to set the initial boot drive. You can tell Windows what folders and programs not to start but I am not sure you can stop a complete drive? But then, IF you don't want any files off a specific drive, why would it start anyway?

To digress? I have never seen the why 'Super Rapid Startup' is such a big deal? If you intend to spend some hours on the PC, in the minute or two it takes to boot, put the kettle on, crack can, cuddle the wife and kids?

Dave.

IIRC, Windows changed their startup to use hibernation data so it should be pretty fast, i.e., shutdown is more like hibernate, and, especially if you're got an SSD for your system drive, it should be almost as fast as resume from sleep (S3).

But, like Dave (@ecc83), I'm not sure why it's that big of a deal. Of course, I pretty much never turn my computers completely off, though they do go to sleep, so there's no significant power being consumed.

Well, I have some magnetic drives on my computer, but c: drive is an SSD and it boots up fine. Where you will see some performance reduction is when you launch your DAW and it needs to fetch those files.

But for boot up, you will see little to no performance hit with those magnetic drives active. Or at least you shouldn't unless it is trying to load the virtual drive, which you can go in and turn that off. You will need to look up how that is done as I haven't done it in awhile.

I hooked up that pciexpress version 3.0 4xsata3 adapter and unfortunately it will only fit into the version 2.0 pcie slot. It works in the x16(wired 2.0) pcie slot in my dell optiplex9010 but i won't get the 3.0 version speed as i had planned.. I was wondering if anyone knows why it won't boot up from the pcie version 3.0 slot. The 3.0 slot is offset from the other 2.0 slot and the metal adaper support won't reach the chasis mount.I found out or am pretty sure that the adapter is half or @3 mbps. according to a diagnostic app. So how can i get the adapter to work in the other(3.0-pcie x16)adapter?
One other thing...does the brace or metal bracket on the adapter itself act as a ground and prevent it from working if it isn't attached to the chasis?
Above i said the adapter wouldn't fit...well come to find out it was the removable external slot cover that was blocking the adapter brace. It does fit in the blue 3.0 pcie slot.

Last edited:
Back