How to have a huge workflow boost when using Cubase and Mackie Controller

pgstudio

Hi Guys,

Since I first bought my X-touch and the extender, I always wondered if things could be more easy to do. Except from Volume / Pan / Sends, everything is too much buttons to click and knobs to rotate to do things. It's was way faster to just click with the mouse.

To close this gap I used MaxMSP(or PureData) to develop a patch to make all the hard work for me when working on the surface.When this thing worked, it made me smile so hard that I think it may be useful for someone

In short, what I did in Max was:

- Every time I click on the Next Bank/Prev Bank buttons, Cubase also selects the channel so the screen can scroll to the same channel I’m seeing on the controller.
- Every time a click on Sends, it will press FLIP for me, because I like my sends on the faders and not on the knobs. And everytime I leave the Sends page, it will FLIP back.
- Customize the wheel to do whatever you want, like clip gain, call macros, fade in time, fade out time.
- Editing plugins now is a breeze, you just have to click the corresponding knob to open the window and you are ready to tweak the plugin. You don’t need to press the Plug-In page button anymore, select the correct slot (IFX Slot) and then press the page button. Max is doing this automagicaly (HUGE time saver and fun).
- Same with channel strips. To add a channel strip module you just have to press a button, same thing to edit a particular strip module, just press a button. No more rotating knobs until you find the correct strip you want to edit.

I made a blog post with a video, explaining everything I did and providing the files for you to download.
It was a huge workflow enhancement for me and I really wanted to share it with the community because I always saw people complaining about some things that the controller could be doing differently and using this approach you can modify the way the controller works within any DAW, not only Cubase.

This is the video
YouTube
And this is the blog post with the files and some explanations: Improve the integration between any Mackie Controller and your DAW

I hope that it's useful for some one else!

PG

Back