How Does MIDI Work?

Dan Lail

Okay, I am getting the hang of recording with computer software. I have downloaded Reaper. After trying many other multitrack software I have settled on Reaper.

The only thing hanging me up right now is interfacing an HR-16 drum machine via MIDI. I used to record via analog using the tape sync option on the HR-16, but now I would like to use MIDI. I know nothing about MIDI. I have interfaced the HR-16 using the MIDI in and out through a USB cable. All the settings in Reaper are set and I am getting a reading when I record a MIDI tract. Is this MIDI track suppose to tell the drum machine when to start and stop?

You need to setup the HR-16 to recieve the midi information then check which notes the pads are triggered from. You should be able to download a manual online for the unit. Then once thats done, you program in your drums through the piano role.

Okay, I am getting the hang of recording with computer software. I have downloaded Reaper. After trying many other multitrack software I have settled on Reaper.

The only thing hanging me up right now is interfacing an HR-16 drum machine via MIDI. I used to record via analog using the tape sync option on the HR-16, but now I would like to use MIDI. I know nothing about MIDI. I have interfaced the HR-16 using the MIDI in and out through a USB cable. All the settings in Reaper are set and I am getting a reading when I record a MIDI tract. Is this MIDI track suppose to tell the drum machine when to start and stop?

You probably have to think slightly differently about how you use the HR-16. Typically, a drum machine allows you to set up a rhythm pattern using its internal drum sounds. You hit play, then play along with it, while the machine circulates through the various patterns you've put into to it to create a song structure.

If you are using the HR-16 with Reaper, what you will need to do is create a midi track, select the HR-16 as that track's output device, and patch the HR-16's audio output back into Reaper using whatever audio interface you have. Doing this allows you to use Reaper to drive and use the HR-16's bank of sounds, and for you then to record them as an audio track.

To create a midi drum track in Reaper, you can do as Vinnydude says, i.e. use the midi piano roll editor to add the desired drum beats (kick, snare, cymbals etc.).

Or you can set the Reaper midi track that you've created to record a midi input (you need to set the HR-16 as the tracks input midi device). Make sure the HR-16 and Reaper are set to the same tempo and key signature. Hit record in Reaper, hit play on the HR16 until you've recorded enough. You may need to line up the resultant midi file with the bars shown in Reaper. (There is probably a way of synchronizing this, but because I don't use this method, I don't know how to do it).

After you've done your recording, you can play it back, using the method first outlined (i.e. send the tracks midi output to the HR-16 and patch the HR-16's audio output into the interface).

Back