how to convert an audio cassette tape to a midi file (on ms-windows)

There actually is software that attempts to do this very thing. The results are on the order of images you'd get from a fun-house room of weird-shaped mirrors.

Try "Total Recorder"., http://www.highcriteria.com/
I used it on some old cassette tapes with a home tape recorder to line in on my computer sound card. I save it under Mp3. Has several different sound formats to save it under. The quality of the recording depends on several factors. Ranging from the tape deck used the clarity of the tapes and of course your sound card.
By the way it would be "Total Recorder Standard Edition". Hopes this helps.

Eraxxer

fug you guys.. its TOTALLY do-able.

First, you transcribe the music on the audio tape. Any first-rate musician can do this. If it is a popular tune, you can probly find it transcribed somewhere.

Next, you write it into a MIDI prog... CUbase? Finale? Im not to big on midi, but I think Finale would do it for you.

And thats that.

xoxo

In the realm of recorded sound or "Music if you want to call it that"
There are lots of things that can't be transcribed.
Besides sheet music is canned music.

The only way you're going to be able to do it automatically, is if your recorded source is very clean, and a single instrument. You could use finale (which works pretty well) to transcribe, say an acoustic guitar, piano, or a vocal (even then, it's tricky). But if you've got a whole band playing, there's no way it'll work.

Back