How to connect a looper to the audio interface?

Smashor

Hi, i've got a problem. :P

Basically i'm trying to record my guitar, the vocals, and some loops making sure that everything is separeted into different tracks in my Daw. It sounds simple buuuut it's not XD

The thing is i don't understand how to connect the instruments, the looper and the interface to make sure that everything stays separeted to allow myself to edit it later in the daw.

I thought maybe to get some Y cables, send the vocals both into the interface and the looper, do the same with the
guitar, and then connect the looper to the interface. Is this the correct way of doing it..with Y cables??

Another idea was to send the guitar and vocals into the interface, take their signals from the outputs and send them to
the looper which then would be plugged into the interface. Would that make sense?

If I said something stupid don't worry, it happens all the times :P

I hope one of you can figure this out, thanks in advance! Cheers!

Please be specific on what equipment you have - looper and audio interface. 'Y cables' are likely to give you an inferior signal, specially for the mic. Your idea of using the AI sends to th elooper makes more sense.

You might find a way to do the same thing in-the-box. I haven't played much with looping myself, but the DAW should have the ability to loop items.

A lot of the things that people do with loopers - like start and stop recording and playback of the loops in realtime while using both hands to play guitar - is actually pretty tough to accomplish in software. If you have enough inputs and outputs and can get low enough round trip latency, the idea of going into the interface and back out to the looper is probably best and easiest way to do it. More specifics would be nice, though.

If possible i would like to avoid doing it with the software, i'm sure there has to be an easier way.
Anyway the looper I have is a Boss rc30 as for the interface the good news is that i'm about to upgrade to a new one (budget 200-300euros) so i have the freedom of choice but i'm waiting to understand how to connect everything so that i know how many inputs/outputs I will need so that i don't buy the wrong product. Would an external mixer help with the connections? I'm opened to all ideas as long as i don't spend more than 300 euros to get this thing working properly :-) Cheers!

Ashcat makes a good point about the drawbacks of software, latency especially. You can transfer wav files from the Boss unit to your DAW, I assume.

If you're buying an interface with running an output from it to the looper, then make sure you get one that has multiple outputs, as you don't want to be disconnecting your monitors each time you want to do this.

If you're buying an interface with running an output from it to the looper, then make sure you get one that has multiple outputs, as you don't want to be disconnecting your monitors each time you want to do this.

Awesome! I just found one that is exactly like you said, it's called steinberg UR44 and you can clearly see the separation between the monitor outputs and the channel's outputs. It sounds like this is gonna be the way to go, thanks!

Attachments

• Cartes_son_STEINBERG_UR44_2.jpg
    Cartes_son_STEINBERG_UR44_2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 46
Just to point out that the Tascam 16x08 is the same price most places as that Steunberg deal, but with more of everything...

Don't want to be boring about this (again!) but the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 has the connectivity the OP needs and definitely has the low latency he needs. That Steinberg looks superb but I wonder if it has low enough latency?

Dave.

Don't want to be boring about this (again!) but the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 has the connectivity the OP needs and definitely has the low latency he needs. That Steinberg looks superb but I wonder if it has low enough latency?

Dave.

I heard the low latency in the steinberg is good, i saw on youtube people using in with an ipad software in real time to get reverbs, compressors, eq and all sort of stuff from there. The Native instruments is tempting because of the software and all the plug-ins it comes with, but i found its outputs to be a bit confusing. I mean you plug your voice and guitar in channel 1 and 2 where the preamps are but then the outputs "1 and 2" are Main outputs so i'm not sure you can get the signals nicely separeted like i need, also it has got 2 preamps less than the steinberg. But i mean at the end of the day in this price range i'm sure they're all valid products.

Back