How to: ADD 2.1's Subwoofer to Studio Monitor?

mactreouser

Hi,
I know this is crazy, haha. But I just wanna add on my 2.1 multimeter speaker's subwoofer to the mix for a quick check purpose!

How to route it up?

Hi there,
You'd need a passive subwoofer and amplifier, or an active subwoofer, and a spare output on your interface.
Some 2.1 setups handle the routing internally so they just accept L+R inputs and do the crossover stuff for you.

It all depends on what equipment you've got. What have you got? :)

Appreciate your offer of help!
I'm actually have a set of 5 inch monitor. And just grabbed a 2.1 Multimedia Speaker!

What I wish to do is, disconnect the satellite speakers, then make use of the subwoofer to combine/join/play together with the 5 inch monitor to enhance some super low end to check my mix!

Possible?

We'd really need gear specifics (makes and models) to give a proper answer.
There's too many variables, without knowing exactly what you have.

Thanks again! This means it works?
Here is the spec:

SUBWOOFER:
Driver size: 4”
Frequency response: 40Hz – 200Hz
Output power (RMS): 14W
Impedance: 4Ω

How should I route?

Thanks again! This means it works?
Here is the spec:

SUBWOOFER:
Driver size: 4”
Frequency response: 40Hz – 200Hz
Output power (RMS): 14W
Impedance: 4Ω

How should I route?

Make and model please.

But most likely a 14 watt 4" speaker isn't going to offer much in the way of low frequency output.

Hi,
So sorry, I'm not sure where does it made from ? brand and model sound like Sonicgear Titan 5!

I understand about the lack of power issue. I just wanna ensure it is workable first! ?

A 14 watt sub with a 4" speaker? Don't bother. A google for that 'Sonicgear Titan 5': TITAN 5 BTMI shows its a bluetooth speaker set. Not sure what the USB or aux inputs would allow. For < US$40, it's going to sound pretty horrid.

For a quick check, i.e., to validate how well it translates, play your mix back on your phone from a streaming site like SoundCloud, with the phone connected to that Bluetooth "multimedia" set (wirelessly). That's a more likely scenario. Do not use that for mixing.

How should I route?

We can't tell you without knowing the ins and outs of the equipment you have.
Your 2.1 unit might have stereo inputs and built in crossovers, or it might have three inputs, one of which is for subwoofer.
Your monitor speakers might be passive, or they might be active.
The types of cables used could be rca, unbalanced 1/4", balanced 1/4", xlr...

Like I sais before, there are too many variables without knowing specifics.

Appreciate all of your helps!

We can't tell you without knowing the ins and outs of the equipment you have.
Your 2.1 unit might have stereo inputs and built in crossovers, or it might have three inputs, one of which is for subwoofer.
Your monitor speakers might be passive, or they might be active.
The types of cables used could be rca, unbalanced 1/4", balanced 1/4", xlr...

Like I sais before, there are too many variables without knowing specifics.
I'm using 2/2 audio interface, sent LR to little mixer (Behringer Xenyx 802 Mixer | Sweetwater) to stereo input then main out to monitor!

For a quick check, i.e., to validate how well it translates, play your mix back on your phone from a streaming site like SoundCloud, with the phone connected to that Bluetooth "multimedia" set (wirelessly). That's a more likely scenario. Do not use that for mixing.
Yup, I did that too. But recently, I've got this crappy stuff in hand, I then thinking of make use the little woofer to check my low range!

A 14 watt sub with a 4" speaker? Don't bother. A google for that 'Sonicgear Titan 5': TITAN 5 BTMI shows its a bluetooth speaker set. Not sure what the USB or aux inputs would allow. For < US$40, it's going to sound pretty horrid.
Mine was older version, without Bluetooth. Yes, when turn up loud, sound "sweet" enough ?

Back