Hooking up a better preamp to an audio interface pre

pcstudios

Don't do what I've done for a long time...

I used to go out from the better preamp into the audio interface's preamp input. Preamp to preamp. When I realized you're supposed to go out of the first preamp into a line level input on the interface, the tone of the preamp came to life. LOL

On consumer or pro-sumer type interfaces, the Line-In and Mic Pres are one and the same. The only difference is a resistor that raises the required input voltage level from a mic signal to a Line signal. Depending on which interface you have, you may still be using the same pre-amp. Combo connectors would be one clue, but look at the schematic or functional block diagram to know for sure.

On consumer or pro-sumer type interfaces, the Line-In and Mic Pres are one and the same. The only difference is a resistor that raises the required input voltage level from a mic signal to a Line signal. Depending on which interface you have, you may still be using the same pre-amp. Combo connectors would be one clue, but look at the schematic or functional block diagram to know for sure.

I sure don't know, I've got the Steinberg UR44. I was using Mic input 1 before, now using line 5 or 6 in. I'll look for a schematic.

I sure don't know, I've got the Steinberg UR44. I was using Mic input 1 before, now using line 5 or 6 in. I'll look for a schematic.

Looks like the 2 Line Inputs on the back of the unit are wired differently than the front combo jacks. So, if you're plugging your mic pre into the back, you're going straight to a converter and not through an internal mic pre.

The signal sounded harsher than it does now. Not just gain difference.. it's sweeter sounding now. I'm using a Golden Age Pre73jr, and I wasn't impressed before with it. But now I kind of like the sound. It's subtle, but there is a difference in tonal quality.

I go pre-amp to pre-amp (Scarlett 18i20). I don't really hear a difference to the Line-Ins, I get more headroom with the Line-Ins but I have those PAD's if I'm worried. Not sure if my recordings are of lesser quality than they should be.

Back