Hiss frequency range?

I-AM

Dear forum,

I have read the many articles sonusman has put out on the internet plus the many techniques discussed in these forums, and I try not to use any eq editing once I get the tracks in cool edit, but I do get some hiss. Is there a frequency range, that I can turn down they may help?
Thanks

I-AM

Hiss

Hi,

Have you tried noise reduction? There are many plug-ins that can do this.

Hiss occurs in the high frequency ranges. Sweep across until you find it and apply a parametric eq with an appropriate Q factor. This can help a lot.

If I remember this correctly, the short answer is that "perfect" hiss has equal energy at all frequencies, it just sounds louder at higher frequencies. Most hiss is not "perfect" it is coloured somewhat by whatever is generating it. So the real answer is that it depends on whats producing the noise.

I get no hiss while recording.

If you are getting hiss, you have either a gain stage wrong, or very poor A/D converters.

I would investigate either of those problems first before applying a plugin that will create a situation where dithering is needed before applying a noise gate or an eq. These are poor substitutes for a clean front end to your recording chain.

Good luck.

Ed

Back