HELP! - What am I doing wrong?

jmorrisonbc

I have a Delta 44 and I'm running the most recent edition of N-Tracks. When I plug my electric guitar into IN#1 and my amp into OUT#1, I get sound through the amp, and the M-Audio Monitor Mixer gives me a meter reading which is pretty good.

BUT....N-Tracks is not picking up the signal, the recording vu-meter doesn't move when I play, even though the sound is there still in the M-Audio Monitor Mixer and the amp.

What am I doing wrong?

Johnny

...also....

I disabled the onboard sound "card" that came with the computer from the control panel....and set both recording and playback to Delta Multichannel....I get no sound whatsoever from the computer's own speakers.

What's probably happened is you can hear what's coming through which is controlled by the monitors levels.

In n-track you have to select which input you want to record from,eg. 1,2,3 or 4
It's probably set to record with another input not #1

Tukkis

N-track settings

I can't seem to find anywhere to make that selection, anyone out there know which screen that's in? I did download and print the manual, but no reference to this particular setting.

Damn...this is a steep learning curve!

All of your recording options are defined in the Recording VU Meter. Bring it up and fiddle with it.

Also, make sure you've got the delta setup for input & output using whatever drivers you want in File->Preferences->Devices.

Slackmaster 2000

Fundamentals

Slackmaster et al, I think I must have some setting fundamentally wrong with the Delta. I say this becasue neither the N-Tracks nor the awful e-magic thing that came with the card would recognize input from the card. As though the card and the Delta Monitor Mixer are talking, but that's it.

Speciafically relating to Control Panel settings, and device drivers...Ihave no conflicts, the harware is working according to Windows XP, and I've selceted "Delta Multichannel" as both the recording and playback device.

I guess I'll keep trying of course, and perhaps bite the bullet and call M-Audio for help.

1/2 fixed

By changing the settings on the n-tracks software, I can now see the recording vumeter move in n-tracks. I hit record, but nothing is getting recorded. I thought I set up the track properly...#1Left. I followed Slackmaster's post from 07/26/02.

That means that the device is set up in n-track but the individual tracks are not configured properly

Tukkis

??

Well, I've read all 100 pages of the n-tracks manual, and the Delta 44 manual...and the only variable is which source you select to record...I picked Delta Multichannel. I open up a new track, specifiy Delta #1 Left, nothing. I tell n-tracks to "Start a New Track" under the recording Vumeter settings for Input #1 Left....nothing.

I've spent hours online, reading...is there nobody out there running Delta44 and n-tracks and Windows XP who can give me the proper track settings?

also....

If it helps solve the mystery, when I press the "LIVE" button on n-tracks, I get some sort of feedback loop..."wa...WA...WAAA!!!!"...that seems like it's going to blow up my amp. Could this give clues as to what I've got plugged in wrong?

Once again:

Delta 44
Windows XP
N-tracks demo

Electric guitar direct into Input #1
Output #1 to guitar amp

Good signal in Delta Monitor Mixer
Good signal in N-tracks Recording vumeter #1 Left
Good sound to amplifier

Does not record, does not playback
"LIVE" button - horrible feedback
Does not allow live playing with effects, no effects work

UPDATE

I uninstalled N-Tracks, downloaded it again and re-installed. I also downloaded the newest driver from M-Audio for the Delta 44. When I had it all set-up, I opened N-Tracks...and by God it worked...I can now record, playback, play live, you name it.

I will say that n-tracks (at least this demo version) is VERY buggy....weird things happen to windows and borders...and I'm running the fastest computer available (2.0Ghz P4 Northwood with 512Mb SDRAM).

In any case, good to know my soundcard isn't fuc$ed.

Back