Help With Weird Buzz

spacegrandma88

Howdy, I've been doing home recordings for about 4 years now and bought a new computer recently. I've noticed a bad metallic hum sound when I record. I'm using a Focusrite v1 2i2, when I plug a bass straight in I hear the sound the most, but also when I use mics up to my guitar amp I also hear it. I recorded on my old computer to a-b test it and there isn't a buzz on the old one. I've also tried different headphones on my new computer and it's all the same. I've also tried unplugging my computer and recording using the laptop battery and it still happens. Please help.

Here's the sound:
spacegrandma.bandcamp.com/track/metallic-bass-sound

Last edited:
Unfortunately this is often an issue with the USB socket power on some computers. Try different USB ports, stay away from USB3 for older interfaces, and as a last resort a good quality powered USB hub may work.

I can hear the weird noise, which is a higher frequency than the usual hum we get. What I'm not sure about is where it is getting in. that clip sounds very heavily gated. when you have the gate and effects off, is the noise there all the time or does it just start when the bass plays.

I will try the powered USB hub, thanks! It's going straight into the interface, no effects- it only shows up when I play the bass (or guitar). It's silent when I'm not playing. Thanks!

Back