Help Transferring OS files to other HD

trogdor

I was wondering if someone could help me...I have two hard drives, one with Windows, and the other with my other files on it. However, the Windows hard drive is old and small and I am running out of room so I want to just transfer the OS onto the Large HD and take out the small one.

There has to be some way to do this without erasing everything. I have partition magic, but I'm not sure what the best way to go about doing this is. The Partitions on the large drive are D: and F: so obviously one of those would have to be changed to C: and to boot from it.

Any help on how to go about doing this would be greatly appreciated... thanks!

Jon

I use Symantec Ghost, which is a similar type of program to what Emeric described. You can get it pretty cheaply packaged with some versions of Norton Utilities - just check the box to make sure it is included.

RWhite said:
I use Symantec Ghost, which is a similar type of program to what Emeric described. You can get it pretty cheaply packaged with some versions of Norton Utilities - just check the box to make sure it is included.

I second Ghost... in my office, we upgraded out PC.. all 4000+ of them. Ghost didn't fail us once! I also use it at home.. it's really easy to replicate a HDD.

Porter

Porter said:
I second Ghost... in my office, we upgraded out PC.. all 4000+ of them. Ghost didn't fail us once! I also use it at home.. it's really easy to replicate a HDD.

Porter

Yes, Ghost is the answer. It is the ultimate tool for the price. You can copy a hard drive with multiple partitions, make image backups for crashes, etc. You could make a partion on your "big" drive equal to or bigger than your "old little" drive, and copy the image to the c:\ partion (partition 1) on the big drive, boot from the big drive, and never affect the rest of the big drive.

Back