Help with track noise

Don Lee

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I have searched all morning for some info on my problem and haven't nailed it down yet. Any help is appreciated, and I would imagine this is a no brainer for the more "experienced" among us.

I just upgraded to XP from 98se with a Delta 66 and SB Live. I did this because both sound cards weren't recognized in 98, thought it was a WDM problem, I had XP...so I upgraded.

I've loaded what I believe to be the correct drivers, and now both soundcards are enabled. I think I have the inputs/outputs/latency controls set correctly. However, when recording a bass track I get a lot of high end noise, almost constant static, that I did not get in 98.

Any ideas for a newbie tired of reading posts:-) I love this forum, but I'm ready to lay some tracks, you know?

TIA

Hey Getuhgrip,

I'm going thru the omni box. And the noise is only present during playback of recorded tracks. So far:-)

TIA!

Don't know what software you're using, are recording levels cranked way up and moitoring adjusted down?

I wouldn't think anything in XP could be the cause of this. Can you play some windows wav files thru the omni to see if you still get static?

How are you monitoring recorded tracks?

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using Sonar and the recording/monitoring levels are fine. I'm monitoring through the Delta on Yamaha NS-10m's.

I keep thinking its a delta driver issue, but I have the latest ones...maybe should rollback?

I haven't run a wave file through there. Hadn't thought of that! Will do that now.

Be back to you in a few:-) Thanks for your help!

Hey Getuhgrip,

I imported a couple of wave files and DID NOT get the pops and clicks that I get when playing back on audio track.

So I'm assuming a driver issue? Hell, I don't know. Grasping at straws. Didn't have this problem three days ago with 98. Of course I couldn't see both sound cards either. Trading one problem for another:-)

Thanks for any help!

Back