help with setup for digital recording on pc!

numbatfouram

i'm sure the quesitons i will ask have been answered in many pages but after looking i couldn't find what i needed so here i go...

I am moving from multi-track recording now to pc \ laptop based recording. I'm also considering getting a Apple G5 but thats another issue. What i want to do is buy a device (i've looked at the M-audio AudioPhile and others as well as the Tascam US 122) that will allow me to record to the pc by whichever way is more reliable and fastest (USB, FireWire, PCI card, PCMCIA etc). I dont want to be restricted to just using the device on the pc either in case i buy a mac and likewise i dont want to to go down the PCI card route as i want the option of using the device with my laptop and home pc!

I will need 1\4 inch analog inputs, XLR (phantom powered) and MIDI. Im primarily a guitarist but im looking into digital recording now with my midi piano \ modules etc. I just dont know what device to get. I of course want the best possible sound quality 24/96 and im not too concerned about the simultaneous recording \ inputs side of things however it would be nice to record a Mic and guitar \ keybaord at the same time.

I appreciate you guys have probably seen this question a thousand times before but i could really do with the best advice to save me spending on some hopeless \ incorrect unit.

Forgot to say, ideally have AC3 sound and i'd be able to push the computers sound through it.

Thanks in advance... i wil send a smiley for your troubles!!
Thanks
Numbatfouram

Thanks for your reply FutureStar!

I was ideally thinking of about a $500 or £300 budget and this unit goes above that quite a lot but it seems so impressive and something that would last for years. im looking at trying to find a used MkII model or possibly stealing someones money to buy it with :)

can you or anyone possibly suggest a chaper unit that would do the tasks i want?

Thanks again, help is really appreciated!

an idea......
as your into midi heavily - before making a mac decision consider a nice amd barton or 64 cpu based laptop and then try powertracks from pgmusic.com.
oodles of midi sequencing features and 48 digital audio tracks for 29 bucks.
i'm just a happy user. just this weekend i recorded for something different a young rap group. as always powertracks came through without a hiccup.
ran smooth as silk. if you think i'm lying check out the user forums at pgmusic. some real midi pros and digital audio pros you can pick up neat tips from. great bunch of users. if you shop wisely you should save big money over the mac approach with respect.

thanks for the advice

Just wanted to say thanks, i bought the Motu 828 MKII yesterday and got a good deal. It migfht be overkill at the moment but i know in the coming months i can easily use more of the features! I'm very happy.

To be honest im trying to find excuses to get back to using Apple mac's but i will look into the other options 1st to see what's the comparisons like.

Happy and grateful

:-)

Back