Help setting up midi keyboard

perfecto

This may be slightly off topic or way to vague, but I can't seem to find prewritten answers for myself. In any case, I will proceed.

I am trying to set up a midi keyboard in Reason 1.1 on a PC running Windows XP. My problem involves the midi keyboard. I ordered a midi cable to plug into my keyboard (simple D to soundcard/midi in/out setup), shut down my system, plugged it in, rebooted, started Reason, followed the instructions in the Reason quickstart PDF in the instructions to configure a soundcard and midi input. But when I was supposed to hear sound out of my computer speakers controlled by my (musical) keyboard, nothing happened. I was not controlling the synth in reason.

My theory is that my computer is not getting any midi signal, or I do not have the propper drivers somewhere (note that I did update my Soundblaster MP3+ drivers after I installed Reason) or something. Is there a simple program that I can download to test my simple midi setup with or CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE?

Please excuse me,
peter.

EXCUSE ME. I WILL CROSSPOST THIS TO MIDI NOW. GOOD GOD. HOW COULD I HAVE OVERLOOKED SUCH FORUM SO FITTING FOR MY QUESTION?

Back