Help setting up microphone

Jklop123

I just got some gear to record on my Dell Inspiron and i'm having troubles getting the mic to work. (i'm a noob) I have an Art Tube MP Project Series usb interface with a MXL V63M condenser mic. I have both Cubase AI4 and FL Studio9 (i don't know which is better). I have everything plugged in correctly and the driver is installed and everything but i'm not getting a signal. There's no sound from the mic at all. I disabled my internal mic and enabled the usb audio CODEC and still there is no sign of bars jumping up and down! Any help would be appreciated!

Divide and conquer. Make sure the ART is set up right. In Cubase, drop down the Devices menu, and make sure the ART is listed as the input and output device. On your laptop, go into device manager and be sure the internal soundcard (maestro or whatever it is) is disabled, and the ART is listed and enabled.
After that, go to the mic/ART hookup. Do you have phantom power turned on?The ART should show at least the two green led's and the yellow led at most lit up when you test the mic.
From there I'd be as lost. I have Dell laptops but not the ART. I'm using the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, and I had some rookie teething pains, too. But with vigilance I figured it all out.

Thanks! I disabled the internal sound card and the bars are jumping on both programs. BUT there is no sound coming out of the headphones when I playback! I can hear a little buzz sound in the left ear. (i tried 2 different headphones) It is plugged into the output on the interface correctly. It says the device is activated. I'm confused!

If Cubase Device menu says the ART is the Output device, I'm almost lost. I'd have to fire up my laptop and Cubase to remember. But you're using the USB port? Now that you have the ART going, and it's showing up in Cubase, all you need to get happening is the output. Make sure it is in the Device menu, and your headphones are plugged into the ART. Oh, pull down 'Device' and then at the bottom is 'Device Setup'. Read this; www.steinbergusers.com/TechDocs/Cubase4/C4_DeviceSetup.pdf This should help.

It's a silly 'button' you haven't hit yet.
  1. The ART is going to the laptop through the USB cable.
  2. You are plugged into the ART.
  3. You've gone through the device manager to your sound, video, game controllers folder, and found the internal card disabled and the ART recognized and enabled.
  4. You are in your recording software. I use Cubase, so I pull down the Device menu and see that my interface is the input and output.
  5. If the internal card is listed, I click on the command to switch ASIO drivers, and confirm.
  6. Now in the recording software, I add a mono audio track.
  7. Make sure record or write enable is 'on', and the monitor is 'on'. In Cubase, these are lit up to say this is happening.
  8. Set the levels on the ART.
  9. Check the laptop to see if the ART is registering.

After that, I'd be stumped too. I have a few local friends that I can call up, and they walk me through it. For you, this may be the best time to have friends. ;)

Thanks a lot for trying to help! Everything seems to be working alright but I can't get sound to playback through by headphones. The waves aren't showing up either but when i play back, the bars do shoot up. I have to turn the output way up to get the bars to get half way when I'm speaking loudly in my mic.

Back