Help for Protools-Mac updates/upgrades

joelouis

Hello, urgent help please. I need to update my Mac, Protools ... I want to buy an iMac 27 "and I need to know the updates/upgrades I need to do in software and hardware. I also want to link the Monitor I have to the iMac and / or an extra wide monitor.

My current gear:

Mac Mini (late 2014) 2.6 Ghz Intel Core i5 8GB DDR3
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
2 3TB Segate HD (Mac OS Extended)
1 2TB Segate HD (Microsoft NTFS)
27” Samsung S27D360

Pro Tools 12.2.1 ilok-2
Focusrite Scarlett 61.6

Melodyne 4
Toontrack (Superior Drummer)
Waves Bundle
AMBER Virtual Guitarist

Thanks so much

Hi,
Updating is always tricky.

Protools 12.2 is officially supported on 10.8.5 so, technically, you're already running a non-supported setup.
A ProTools 12 license entitles you to use any version up to and including 12.5.2 but, still, that puts you in MacOS 10.8.5 support bracket.

That said, I'm running 12.5.2 on Mojave 10.14 and am aware of one minor bug which can be worked around so...Decide how important official support is for you. ;)

Your current mac supports up to, and including, the latest MacOS and your new mac is going to ship with the latest. Depending when you buy that's 10.14 or 10.15.

You've got hefty storage there so my gut would be to take a CCC clone of the MacMini system disc for safety. That can be restored any time.
After that I'd software update the Mac Mini to Mojave and get settled in.
Test PT and all your plugs/instruments and make sure everything plays nice.

If all is good then when you get your new iMac you can clone that working Mojave setup right over to the iMac and hit the ground running.
You also don't have to worry about customising things, preferences, installing anything...it will be your mac but new hardware.

If you don't care about cloning and are happy to start from a new install then that's cool; Just install all your programs etc onto the new mac.
If you do care about having the 'right' version of everything, you'll need to upgrade Protools to their 2019 version.

Hope there's something useful in there. :)

P.S.
The only video output option on the new iMacs, I think, is via thunderbolt.
You can buy thunderbolt to HDMI adapters for little money.
If your monitor is DVI you can adapt again to that.
If it's VGA, get a new monitor. :p

Back