HELP! Noob trying to fix AI White noise

goopgodd

I really need help. I'm trying to record vocals but my audio interface creates a staticy-white noise sound when phantom power is on. The problem is in the audio interface because even when pro tools is off, it creates a hissing sound in the speakers and headphones which are both routed to my AI. I tried moving plugs around but it didn't work. I also tried online solutions but they all made no sense to me (Im new to all of this). Someone please help.

(PS - I use a Focustrite Clarett 8Pre as my AI.)

EDIT: I just discovered that its not phantom power that is the issue. Even with phantom power off, the static is present. It gets louder the more i turn up an inputs volume.

Pictures attached show my set up

Attachments

• Photo Aug 27, 2 48 52 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 27, 2 48 52 PM.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • Photo Aug 27, 2 48 58 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 27, 2 48 58 PM.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • Photo Aug 27, 2 49 13 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 27, 2 49 13 PM.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Photo Aug 27, 2 49 20 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 27, 2 49 20 PM.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • Photo Aug 27, 2 49 40 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 27, 2 49 40 PM.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
- If you turn down all the input gains and just increase one at a time, is there one channel that gives the noise or do they all do it the same?
- Any reason that ch 5&6 are cranked all the way up? What is plugged into those?
- What are you using for a mic?
- Can you post an mp3 clip of the noise? (if you can't post a clip directly here yet, post a link to one you've uploaded somewhere)

Hi. I also wonder about input 5&6. Any reason they are turned all the way up?
If there's an active loopback in you Clarett mixer, that could cause it to amplify/exaggerate a low/non-existing signal in 5&6 (possibly).
All the best.

Hopefully dude comes back. It is likely one or the other or combination of those input knobs all the way up or un-balanced cables to the monitors.

Maybe he just figured it out himself...

Hopefully dude comes back. It is likely one or the other or combination of those input knobs all the way up or un-balanced cables to the monitors.

Maybe he just figured it out himself...

I did figure it out myself. Real dumb mistake. Had my mic on -20db setting for some reason so that led me to put the input gain all the way up. All is good now

YAY! Glad you responded! Sometimes we never hear back. The forum is a better place when we communicate.

Glad you got it sorted man! :guitar:

Back