*Help* My Emu 1820M Audio Dock is not turning on.

Phoenix5891

I had my speakers on but I wasn't playing any audio and all of sudden I hear a clipping sounds or something. After that some of my patchmix strips turn red.

He is a screenshot

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/323112552.jpg

I've tried rebooting and it still doesn't light up.I also tried to restore
the patchmix default settings and still the audio dock wont light up. The cable connecting the dock and the PC seems to be fine. Does anyone know what might of caused this or how correct the problem?

Have you tried replacing the cable? While it's not advocated by E-mu, you can replace the cable with standard CAT5 networking cable. If it's not that, get E-mu to replace the box for you or something.

cat5 cable wont work its not a grounded cable, cat 5 is for data transfer only!
the mlan cable also provides power to hardware thats why it has a thick sleeving and it has a metal tip.

Have you tried upadting your drivers?

It could be an irq conflict with your pci cards, try using the slot right under your agp and skip a pci slot if other cards under or on top of it to avoid conflicts......

From the description, it sounds like sudden cable or hardware failure, and I maintain you should check by using another cable before getting the box replaced. To support, from www.productionforums.com/emu (which you should visit)...

What does "endorse officially" mean? In the quickstart guide shipped with 1820 says on page 6:
"The recommended maximum cable length is 10 meters. The cable type is a standard Cat 5e network cable which is specially shielded to prevent RF emissions"

Is there any risk of damaging the PCI-card and/or AudioDock with the 10m cable described in your quickstart guide, or is it just a matter of bad send/receive-function or voltage drop resulting in poor sound quality or "bad/no connection" ?
If there is any risk of hardware damage using such a cable (in perfect condition, of course), then I suggest you remove the text from the guide.
***No HW damage. Just won't work, or will dropout. On 3M it worked on 100% of our test suite. At 5M we start seeing some machines fail so it all depends on your PC. What it means is we will not support you on anything longer then 3M, which is what the product ships with. That reference in the manual will be removed when we do our next print run.

Best,
ICHi
E-MU Systems

Also, from http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68667

The stock RJ45 cable is Cat5e, 9ft, shielded, and has some ferrites. I'm not a fan of extra shielding and ferrites in any cord. I changed it to unshielded Cat6 7ft cable and got some good improvements.

Try it. It won't hurt. (other than perhaps the couple of bucks in buying network cable...)

Back