Help Me Please - E-MU 1212m installation problems

thesilencekit

Hello! I'm new here and my name is Pat. I recently bought an E-MU 1212m. I had a variety of problems installing this. I now have no sound at all and am getting frustrated, as I feel like I've tried everything. Please help!

The problem:
If I open a Wav file in Windows Media Player it says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

Investigation I did:
*When I click on control panel -> sound and audio devices everything is grayed out and uneditable. If i go to the Audio tab there is "No Playback Devices" for my default device. *If I click the Volume Control I get a message saying "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware and then click Add Hardware."
*If I go to Control Panel, there is no "Printers and Other Hardware" section (and yes, I'm in Classic View).
*When I go to Device Manager and look at the Properties on both the E-MU E-DSP controller's Audio Device and Mixer Device, I have "Use audio features on this device" selected. And it says "The device is working properly."

Any ideas what could be wrong?
Do I have to set up theh PatchMix DSP software as my mixer, in order for sound to work? And if so, how? I'm very new to all this...

Thanks so much for any help you can offer me!

-Pat

PS: If you want more info on the "variety of problems" I experienced while installing... Monday night, I installed the cards then tried to install the drivers/software. I experienced some problems, which I associated to the fact that I'd had an old Soundblaster live! 5.1 drivers/software installed. So, I uninstalled all that (to the best of my knowledge - using add remove programs) and reinstalled the emu software. xp then promptly crashed in the middle of updating the drivers. i rebooted to find that both my cd drives had become messed up, so i reinstalled those drivers. then, i reinstalled xp (over top of itself). then i went to device manager and removed all sound devices possible. i then reinstalled the emu software. and was left with no sound.

Yes you DO have to setup Patchmix for sound to be heard BUT others in this forum may be way more qualified than myself to tell you just how to set it up..I owned the 1820M and hated it..Drivers Sucked and Their support/customer service was wicked rude and not soo helpful.The sound was VERY good,WHEN it worked..I ended up returning it and saving for a Firepod and the difference(Hassle Wise) was like Night & Day...I hope you saved your reciept.........

Back