Help with Audio Monitors, Audio Interface, and Pro Tools

Muggs

Hello, im not new to recording music but im new to home studio recording. I just bought a new computer and I have a m audio fast track interface (the one that comes wih pro tools se). Im gonna upgrade to pro tools 10 but im just using that for now to get a feel. I also have the m audi av 30 monitors. What im having trouble with is playback on pro tools, I think something is setup wrong. First of all I didnt know how to setup the monitos, I dont know whether the red and white rca cables go in to the interface or the back of the speakers, then there is a 1/4" I think on the other end of the rca cable and I just dont know where that goes, theres no where to put it on the interface or the speakers, I heard youre not supposed to put it in the computer because the sound card is bad but I tried it anyway and it still didnt work. So what I did was I got a av cable that I had upstairs, like the ones that come with a playstation or something, and I plugged it in to the speakers and the interface and it works, but when Plug my headphones in to the interface, it then switches to the headphones, so I have to plug it out and back in whenever im recording and I want it to playback through the speakers, is that how its supposed to be? Next problem is on pro tools se when I record something and play it back sometimes there is no sound, other times its just a loud scribble scrabble noise(like the noise tvs make when its just a blank grayish screen), other times it skips all over the place. Point is im having trouble, I think I set something up wrong, im sure of it, I just dont know what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated

Ok, first of all, the RCA outputs will go to each speaker. The white one (left) will go to the left speaker. The red one (right) will go to the right speaker. If your speakers don't have RCA inputs, you'll have to get an RCA -> XLR or TRS cable. I'm not sure if the RCA outputs are on the -10dBv or +4dBu standard, but you'll have to check that to make sure the gain structure is correct when connecting them to the speakers. In any case, the knob on the far right is the master volume control for the speakers.

Now, on the front of the Fast Track is a dial labeled "Playback" and "Input". This is a two-way knob that enables you to hear what you're recording directly for zero latency, hear playback from Pro Tools, or a blend of both. If you're using headphones you'll have to turn off the speakers and make the appropriate adjustments of this control to strike a balance.

Pro tools should automatically detect the interface after you install it. Since it only has two inputs and two outputs, you shouldn't have to make any adjustments.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

Back