HardDrive disappearing ??

DeadPoet

carpe diem
Hi y'all,

Strange things happen here

First of all, my setup:
Asus A7M266 (AMD chipset) mobo with 2x256Mb DDR, AMD 1,400 cpu (no XP+), generic GeForce2 MX400 video, Seagate 20Gb main drive, XP Pro

After holidays, I thought it would be a good plan to do some upgrading of my daw. Bying an Enermax Whisper PSU, a less noisy cpu cooler (www.fanner.com WhisperRock III ?), a new harddrive (Maxtor 7,200rpm ATA133 80Gb drive) and most important a STAudio C-Port audio card.

First installing the PSU and cooler...all was fine. Then the Cport ... still more or less fine (struggling a bit with installation, but that's not the point in my little story)..
And then, installing the harddrive.
I partitioned it in 3 parts (active projects, finished projects, extra archive space), all NTFS.
Now after that, it would happen that the BIOS would see the drive, but that XP put it on "Inactive"... Just going into the disk management prog and activating it would help at first, but after some reboots and having it missing again, even that wouldn't help anymore.

After trying for 3 days, I gave up on the data on the disks, and reformatted, repartitioned, made them "Basic" instead of "Dynamic" (whatever that means) and made them all FAT32 disks. All fine yesterday, but when I booted this morning, they were all gone again!!

(And now I'm not mentioning the fact that during this all my 19" no-brand monitor decided to die on me and literally smoked away :( :( )

Could this be the PSU (431Watt) ??? Could this be me ?? Could this be the Cport ??

Anyone with advice ??

The monitor and HDD are still under guarantee, so I'm thinking to just go and trade them in for a Iiyama 19" and Seagate drive ..

Thanks,
Herwig

Back