Ground-zero newbie, looking at the FocusRite 2i2

SaxonDad

I'm an intermediate guitar player, have done a little bit of DAW recording (using an ancient version of Reason - midi/keys only), and I'm interested in recording some guitar/keys instrumentals, mostly for fun and maybe to soundtrack some vac video slideshows from various UK trips my wife and I have taken over the years. I also have one or two vocal songs I'd like to try recording for a gag (double entendre intentional - I'm not a singer...) I also have one - hmmm, maybe two - mics, that I've never used.

I've worked alot with Audacity (in a different context), but never really done any guitar/multi-track recording.

A guy on a FB group I subscribe to recommended the F'Rite 2i2 - but, fellows, I have no idea where to begin.

Do I need to record my acoustic with a mic, or can I plug it directly to the interface? Or o/p from my acoustic amp? Same with electric...Does my midi keyboard go thru the interface, or straight into the PC?

I've seen some horror stories about getting the F'Rite swr bundle to download - should I consider some other swr for it? I'd like to use my midi keyboard for pads and color.

It's not likely I can really turn my tiny office into a sound-treated studio (for both space and financial reasons), and all I really have for monitors are my PC's desktop speakers. I can maybe spring for some monitors, if it will help. (I do have headphones. :) )

Sorry if this is a tragically obnoxious post - please be gentle - I am PC literate, have built at least half a dozen of my own desktops, and I work for a VERY large tech company....but this is a world I'd like to play around in a little, and I'm a no-pulse newb, looking to dip a toe in the water.

Admins, feel free to move this if this post belongs in the newbie forum.

Thanks....

Your post looks like it got lost in the shuffle.

Whether the 2i2 is right depends on a couple things. It's fine for most folks, but when you say MIDI, the 2i2 lacks the MIDI in/out ports that you'd find on a 2i4, or other interfaces with that feature.

Also, which mics do you actually have? Whether they'll plug right in or not depends - probably they're fine, but good to know what you actually have.

Most folks prefer the sound of an acoustic guitar recorded with a mic, but it never hurts to try the direct route if it has a good pickup system. And some folks will record both the mic and pickup and mix those with good results. Experimentation is your friend in this endless endeavor!

A small home office space is where I started and it can actually be pretty decent if you've got some bookcases, maybe a rug, window coverings, even a stuffed chair. I made some of my favorite recordings in that (well, *this*, right now) room with just a dynamic mic and a Roland interface much like the 2i2.

I use Audacity as a utility. I don't like it as a DAW. I had picked up a MacBook kind of as a curiosity before retiring (Windows guy much of my career), so started with GarageBand and have not used any of the other options. So, I never used the F'rite bundle, but it's worth a look if you can navigate whatever hurdles the package puts in front of you. Reaper is also popular, low cost option (free trial period), with lots of support online.

Welcome, good luck.

Thanks Keith - the mic is an Audio-Technica P615 (which says it's a vocal mic), and amazingly, I also have the cord, and a mic stand. I got a bundle of this stuff when I bought my Craigslist back-to-playing guitar a few years ago. It's been lurking at the bottom of my gig bag...not that I actually play any gigs. :)

Is it equally common to also record the electric guitar via mic, or amp-out to interface?

So if the 2i2 doesn't support midi, I would just USB my keys directly into the PC DAW?

Last newb questions...promise.

Thanks Keith - the mic is an Audio-Technica P615 (which says it's a vocal mic), and amazingly, I also have the cord, and a mic stand. I got a bundle of this stuff when I bought my Craigslist back-to-playing guitar a few years ago. It's been lurking at the bottom of my gig bag...not that I actually play any gigs. :)

Is it equally common to also record the electric guitar via mic, or amp-out to interface?

So if the 2i2 doesn't support midi, I would just USB my keys directly into the PC DAW?

Last newb questions...promise.
Electric guitar is recorded by micing the amp, or direct, or both. If you go direct, typically you'd use some "amp/pedal" simulation plugins to create the sound of a mic'd amp. Those sims vary in quality but today's are quite good. You can also go direct through an emulator pedal/board like the Line 6 POD/Helix, Zoom G-series, lots of others. In your space, using an amp might not be feasible, but I've recorded my little MicroCube with some pleasant results - especially when it's just in a mix.

You should be able to have your keyboard appear as a separate software instrument via USB, if you've got the ports and the drivers and DAW all play nice together. (I know it works that way on OS X.) Others here are more knowledgeable about that stuff. I've used my keyboard about 3 times for some bells and the occasional organ chord or pad sound.

Can I put in a good word for the Zoom U-24 or U-44? The great thing with these is that pretty much everything is controlled from the front panel AND they include MIDI as standard so they're good for someone unfamiliar with the technology.

Back