Good Computer vs Good Sound Card

simoneau10

Iv been lookin into recording some beats and some lyrics, (hip hop genre) now what would i be best off doing going and buying expensive computer or go for the cheaper one and spend money on a sound card? also laptop or desktop? and 1 screen or 2? thanks for any help and/or suggestions

You need to be more specific with what you really want to do.

Desktops are cheaper than laptops.

When I hear sound card, I think - gaming sound card. What you need to look into is something external that can give you good recording and playback quality. For entry level recording gear, I usually point people to www.m-audio.com . Take a look at their USB products.

Since you'll just be recording most often 1 vocalist at a time, on 1 mic, you can get something with 1 or 2 preamps on it. You'll find what you need at that site.

Furthermore, you can get 1 decent mic. I suggest a condensor, and make your own DIY Pop Filter (bend a hanger into a loop, and stick a pair of pantyhose over it - google it).

finally, the computer specs. Too broad to begin here if you don't know what software/plugins/samples you'll be using. Futhermore, we need a budget to work with.

Hope this helps, let us know more info.

alright, im buying an early 2000's dell isnpiron desktop, im goin to be recording hip hop genre, i looked at a decent condensor mic for 120 that comes with cakewalknrecording software. im not too sure about the memory of the computer.. how much would be a minimum necessity? and im not too sure about my monitors/speakers situation yet. if there is anything else you can think of that i would NEED right away please let me know

from what you've said so far i assume you're going to be using a "beat library" as opposed to making your own... right?? that being the case you're not asking for the computer to do that much so just about any box will do... so you should probably look at interfaces with either FW or usb connections (fw prefered)... most will have a couple of inputs up to @8 on some... now the good news is they often come with lite versions of software... so first ya might want to check out software and see which will work best for you (ya wont get shit done if ya can't wrap your brain around the app) you may want to also consider a drum controller that would give you MPC type controll over your puter...

Back