Give advice for heavy voice people in here.

rapper2001

What advice do you give musicians in their recording studio with a very deep voice? Barry White for an example.

I asked this 'cause i got a heavy voice also.

Any advice or tips dat can help ya recordings sound more crisp, clean, less muddy, etc & speech techniques....stuff like dat. Basically any info dat can be helpful for people to use if they have a strong heavy voice.

It's all about the mics . . .

The answer to your question depends on whether you view your deep voice as a good thing or a bad thing . . .

I would say that if you have a very deep voice that sits well in mixes, and you want to take advantage of it, I would recommend recording with a large-diaphragm dynamic microphone like a Shure SM-7 or an Electorvoice (forget the model # - also doubles as a fantastic kick-drum mic).

On the other hand, if you feel that your voice is TOO DEEP and wish to make it sound crisper, then I would recommend four things:

1) A small diaphragm condenser like an Oktava MC-012. These are normally used on cymbals and hi-hat for their crisp high-end response. Condenser is definitely the way to go.

2) Sing further away from the mic. Close-micing will only enhance the bassiness of your voice due to to proximity effect.

3) Bass roll-off switches are your friends. Many mics and preamps come equiped with them. You could also eq some of the bass after recording, but that is probably stating the obvious.

4) Stick with a clean, accurate mic preamp. A tube sound will only make your voice sound warmer, which is probably not what you need. Solid-state might be the way to go here.

Good luck

Back