gina help

ametth

Sir Cool of Coronado
I need some clarifiction on the gina soundcard. It has four inputs(2analog/2digital). are those inputs intended for microphones? or output from a mixer? and does each gina input represent a different track , ie. input A=track 1 and so on, or can they be assigned to record different tracks, not being limited to only a four track recording , I havent quite put it together. I do have a Mackie MS1202 Mixer and some sm58 microphones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

matt

The two analog inputs on the front of the breakout box are for line level from wherever- your Mackie should do fine. They are separate but can be used as a left/right pair if you want. The digital input is to an S/PDIF jack on the back of the card.

I'm really new at this stuff, so could you tell me what s/pdif mean? and could gina be used with a program like cool edit pro?

thank you very much.

matt

could I run my mixer(Mackie MS 1202) into the line in of my current sound card(generic, but clean), or would that blow up my sound card?

[This message has been edited by ametth (edited 07-19-1999).]

I'll skip the technical explanation and just say that it stands for Sony Philips Digital InterFace, and is a way to move digitally recorded sounds from one machine to another with zero loss. The copy and the original are exactly the same because they're each just a long list of (the same) numbers.
Gina works great with Cool Edit Pro.
The line-level out of your Mackie won't "blow up" your generic soundcard, but you will need an adapter cable, because (correct me if I'm wrong here; my mixer is a Tascam Portastudio) I don't think your Mackie has any 1/8" stereo jacks for outputs, and every "generic" soundcard I've seen uses them for the line input. Which brings us back to the Gina or her little sister the Darla 24; they both use 1/4" mono inputs.

thank you very much.
one last question. with gina or darla and my mixer, I can record a whole drum set, with say, six microphones, to one or two tracks, but not a track for each microphone(like in a bigger studio). I think thats how it works. I'm rambling now. Anyway, thank you very much for answering my questions. I think I will buy one of those.

matt

No, you're not rambling. This is the essence of the capability of the Gina card. Use your mixer to blend the drums down to 2 tracks in real time (while you're recording) then use the unlimited sound with sound capability of your computer soundcard and your digital multitracking Software. As an alternative to Cool Edit Pro: Go and get the Sonic Foundry's Vegas Pro beta at:
www.sonicfoundry.com

It's FREE for a little while longer (till 7/31/99) and while it does stuff you might not ever need, (like sync digital video with your sound files) and costs more than you might ever want to pay, it does the basic stuff better than anything I've ever seen.
And it's pretty easy to use. My guess is that after putting up with a generic soundcard and Cool Edit Pro, you're gonna absolutely go bananas with a Gina or a Darla and Vegas Pro!!! Have fun! Then post your stuff and tell us where we can find it. Vegas Pro does .mp3 at a multitude of sample rates. And also supports Real Audio file conversion.

drstawl ,

i know im new at this... but doesnt darla use unbalanced rca's and the gina uses the 1/4 inch i/o's ? supposedly thats the only difference between the 2....

- eddie -

The Darla of which I speak is the new Darla 24, which went to the same breakout box design as the Gina. www.event1.com has a picture of it on their home page.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 07-20-1999).]

Back