Gigastudio

Jack Hammer

I have a mac computer which cannot run Gigastudio. I would like to use this program since so many sample collections are in that format.

I have a spare PC that is probably about 500 mhz and I am not sure of the RAM but that can be upgraded if necessary.

What do I need to make the program run on this system so that i can use the PC in conjunction with my MAC based DAW.

I don't think the 500 MHz is THAT slow. I'd be more worried about processor speed if I knew I was giong to use the Giga NFX effects instead of either outboard gear or plugins on your Mac sequencer of choice. Hard drive speed and memory for the polyphony is what I would worry about.

I have the exact same problem.

Well I ALMOST have the exact same problem. I am running Logic Audio Platinum 5.5 on a dual 1.25gHz G4 Mac. I would also like to use GigaStudio as a sampler on an independent PC. I would be building the PC from scratch (hense us not having the exact same problem). So I also have been wondering what I will be up against. I am not so conserned about processor speed or memory. I plan to get the fastest Pent IV that my budget will alow (min. Pent IV 2.4gHz) and at least 1-1.5GB DDR Ram.

My only question is about a sound card/audio system. I do not enjoy the idea that I have to buy ANOTHER high end sound card for a computer that I will never "record" anything into.

I don't really understand how the PC running GigaStudio is going to sync up to my sequencing Mac with Logic. I know that most of the bigger studios etc either use a dedicated hardware unit (Akai or whatsoever) or they use a PC using GigaStudio (Hans Zimmer uses 10 PC linked together to power his home studio where he writes the music for his films etc.)... but I cannot believe that Hans Zimmer buys something like a Delta 1010 or whatever for each of his PCs.

I have never worked with GigaStudio before in my life. I have only worked with the EXS24 inside Logic. I would gladely make love to anyone that can explain to me all kindergarten like, how the PC running GigaStudio syncs up to a Mac running Logic.

Thanks,

Mike

ALL you need is a midi connection and a sound card with as many outs as you think you need .You could get by with a single stereo set,just record each track independently when your ready for mixdown.

In effect all your making is a big ass sound module.

BTW GIGA kicks major ass,it's a pain for me to use compared to DXI synths but the sound is soooo much better that it's worth the hassle.
Add to that the fact you can make your own instruments and drum kits with deep editing abilities.......woooo hooo yeah baby:cool:

You could probably get by with an Audiophile 2496 at $149 because it has four outs 2/rca,2/spdif and one midi out.
Now the question is what kind of connections are available on your Mac?

acidrock said:
BTW GIGA kicks major ass,it's a pain for me to use compared to DXI synths but the sound is soooo much better that it's worth the hassle.
I have a copy of GigsSampler LE, and yes, the sounds oozing from that lowly bit of software are quite astonishing.

And some time in the not too distant future, when Virtual Sampler 3 is finally released it will import and play your Giga instruments. Currently VS3's in Beta 3 release, and I read today on the VS3 forum that it now imports Gigas. Check it out at www.vsampler3.com

VS3 will be a major player in the soft synth field. (I have no affiliation whatsoever with Speed Soft other than being a beta-tester). I've been using VS3 as a DXi with HS2002 for importing sound fonts because they sound better than the bundled Edirol VSC synth. Now that VS3 imports Gigas, I'll be able to knock up some very realistic sounding backing tracks. :)

--
BluesMeister

Thanks for the answers guys

I appreciate your help guys....

But you haven't made it all click in my head yet.

I already have a Delta-66/OMNI sound card. I guess that would be good enough for a GigaStudio. But I still fail to see how a PC running GigaStudio can sync up to the Mac running Logic Audio Plat.

Does GigaStudio act as a sequencer as well? Or would a PC running only GigaStudio basically ONLY be seen as an instrument that I have to play via a keyboard in real time INTO Logic Audio via an input on my Mac's sound card? Or will I be sequencing the tracks into GigaStudio.... then record the results into Logic Audio as audio files?

What does the Midi you spoke about have to do with it? Are we talking about me playing the midi keyboard into Logic Audio and then the sequencer upon playback goes and gets the sounds from the GigaStudio PC and plays them back through the Mac's sound card as if the PC were a big huge Sound Module? I think this is what you were trying to say... but how are the connections made? Isn't there an ungodly amount of latency in such a set up?

Specifics gentlemen. I need specifics.

Thanks so far.

Is that VS3 for Mac, PC or both. Or, were you trying to write VST (he, he - just kidding, I don't really thing that). But anyway, is there any chance that Gigastudio will be Mac compatable any time soon. This could make a difference for me since I would rather use the Mac I have now, a not too shabby 733 G4 with 512 mhz (or is that khz??) of RAM. Still, I would like to eventually use this machine for the Gigastudio and get a dual processor Mac for my sound and midi recording.

Any ideas on this part of the equation.

As I stated before just think of your PC as a giant sound module,how you set it up depends on your equipment you either have on hand or are willing to buy.
you could run your midi thru from the PC to the Mac or maybe use some splitting device.
At this point your question is somewhat vague because the advantage of computer studios is you can set them up however you want to operate it.
Maybe if you gave some insight on how you'd like to operate that would get you closer to a firmer answer.

As far as GIGA on Mac I don't know a thing,here's some links you might try...

http://216.194.68.142/~admin1/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

http://www.soniccontrol.com/gigasampler/

http://www.nemesysmusic.com/

GOOD LUCK!

I believe that Gigastudio will remain as PC based only. They mentioned that they would have to code from scratch for the MAC equivalent.

Use MIDI for instructing Gigastudio to play the sounds (From LA5.5), all output from Gigastudio into your MAC should be done via lightpipe (Digital outs with 8 channels).

Regards, Max

Back