Getting Computer to "Remember" Audio Interface

guitaristic

prophet of Dave
So I like to run basically all of my audio from my computer through my Tascam 1641 and out my KRKs, even when I'm just goofing around on the internet on Youtube or something random like that. However, I keep having the problem of the computer resetting the default "audio out" to my monitor speakers. When I plug the Tascam in, it usually is detected by the computer and I am able to set it as default out. However, if my computer goes to sleep or something and I come back and wake it up, it will then have reset the default out to the monitor speakers and won't even detect that the Tascam (still plugged in and powered on) is connected. I then have to power down and power up the Tascam until the computer detects it again and once again I have to manually set it to default out for audio.

Is there a way that I can get my computer to remember the Tascam is still connected and on, even when it is interrupted by sleep mode?

Have you set your interface "officially" as your default sound device in Control Panel?

Obviously if you disconnect it then Windows will default back to whatever it can, but as long as you're connected, then I can't see any reason that dastardly operating system would switch selected audio devices on a sleep or hibernate. Mind you, I've never slept with my computer.. so to speak. We're on a strictly on/off basis...:D

Have you set your interface "officially" as your default sound device in Control Panel?

Obviously if you disconnect it then Windows will default back to whatever it can, but as long as you're connected, then I can't see any reason that dastardly operating system would switch selected audio devices on a sleep or hibernate. Mind you, I've never slept with my computer.. so to speak. We're on a strictly on/off basis...:D

Yeah I've got it set as "default device"! My computer was in hibernate mode when I got back and the Tascam was still plugged in and on, but when the computer woke up it had switched back to crappy monitor speakers and actually didn't even have the Tascam listed on the list of audio devices on the "Sound" menu. Had to actually restart my computer to get it to recognize the Tascam again lol.

It used to happen when I had my Tascam connected to my laptop too, so I know this isn't just a system issue! Hm...

Stupid answer but just turn off sleep. It's one of those Daw setup tips, I guess.

<stolen from another forum>
Another thing you can try is to find the Firewire device itself in Device Manager, right-click and go to "Properties", and find Power Management for it. Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Stupid answer but just turn off sleep. It's one of those Daw setup tips, I guess.

<stolen from another forum>
Another thing you can try is to find the Firewire device itself in Device Manager, right-click and go to "Properties", and find Power Management for it. Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Yeah might have to do the no-sleeping route....tried the other thing but couldn't find a power management option for the device under device manager!

Back