Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GERMAN SOFTWARE (MIDI etc...)

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello all, FOr those that have not read anything that I have posted, I am an American citizen living in Munich Germany. I will be living here for a few more years and then returning to America. Anyway, I was always in a "group" of one kind or another in America. And now I find myself alone here. However my desire for making music is even stronger than before. First I tried with all my might to do everything alone without software. I was on this website everyday asking everyone, "What should I buy for a drum machine, I need a synthesizer, I need a sequencer, a Hard disc Multi-tracker etc... And EVERYONE sent me the same reply..."Got a computer?" I HATED computers. Really HATED!!!! And now after being dazzled in a few music stores and given enough information, I have decided to make the plung into the computer method of home recording. But now I have a few technical questions before I make some really dumb mistakes. As I said, I live in Germany, with my girlfriend, and she attends the University in Munich here. Well she wants to buy a computer for herself. BUT and her is where most of you might laugh. We HAVE to buy a lap-top, because she will move to America with me and she can't take a whole computer. And she needs to be able to take it to class with her and it HAS to be portable for many reasons. Anyway, I went to the biggest music store in Munich and they said, that a Lap-Top WILL WORK, but I will probably have to buy many additional things to make it work. Here is my plan and you guys just tell me if it works...........

I want to buy the Roland JV-1010 Synth
    A MIDI master-keyboard.
    A Lap-Top Computer.
    And Logic Audio Platinum Software
    The "Drum & Bass" extention board for the JV-1010

This will tide me over until I can afford a Hard Disc Multi-tracker. I want the Roland VS 1880. Or maybe the Yamaha AW 4416. Anyway, I haven't bought a Lap-Top yet so I need you guys to tell me WHAT DOES A COMPUTER IDIOT LIKE ME NEED TO LOOK FOR IN A LAP-TOP THAT CAN HANDLE THIS SOFTWARE AND ALL THAT I NEED. The guys at the music store said that i will need some new sound card. Ok, which sound card is the best for the money? I will also (I think that is waht he said) need some kind of external extention that allows me to plug my MIDI keyboard into the Lap-Top. What was he talking about? Just tell me what EXACTLY I will need in a lap-top. Pentium III or will a Pent. II work ok? Is 340mHz enough or do I need 500mHz? How big of a hard drive do I need? What else will I need to make it all work? Just please play out the scenario in you guy's head and then tell me what YOU would buy in a computer store. Also tell me if this VERY EXPENSIVE $600 software is a waste. I want the BEST. It surely seemed to be the best in the world. But I am new. Just take me by the hand and guide me towards musical Nirvana. PLEASE.

Thanks guys,
    Mike

Thanks
    forget the laptop, NO FORGET IT.
    there, now you can start all fresh.
    if you want the best, you gotta have cash. which you don't. so you wont get the best.

life is easy sometimes, isn't it? now that you've realized you wont get the best, what will you get? well, what do you need?

think about this. the laptop could work intheory but probably wont in practice. read ALL the messages about pc configuration and find out why.

Now, have you read any other messages? those contain ALL and more of what you need.

ola said it before: read and then ask SPECIFIC questions.

i forgot this: why are you thinking about buying a hd recorder? that's your computer! and to bobsleigh:
    yes there almost the same but there so damn small! and almost isn't good enough anyway.

greetz guhlenn

[Edited by guhlenn on 12-18-2000 at 07:15]
    G.

I'll be succesfull tomorrow.

too busy on the forum today...

Thanks
    Here's my one cent:

Don't know much about laptops, but I guess the specs won't be that different from a normal PC. You'd like a lot of RAM, at least 128 megabytes. You can get away with a pentium II 340, sure. The P3 will give you a lower lag between pressing the keyboard and the sound being registered in the computer, though.

What I'd do? I'd put off buying the synth, adding the money to the computer hardware and a spiffy sound card. Some have on-board MIDI which is just as good as an external synth. I think there's one called Yamaha SX-1000 or something like that. Worth checking out. The supreme PC would eliminate the need for a HD recorder, too. What can it possibly do that a PC can't? :-)

- Sub

Thanks

More Specific

Thank you BOBSLEIGH,
    YOU wrote me a very HELPFUL and CALM response. You know it really is discouraging. For every 4 people that say it is all completely possible with a lap-top, there is one that says it isn't. And that I am a fool. Usually in a kind of childish, "you idiot" playground, scoffing manor. Anyway, I will be a bit more specific with my question. I have read the section on choosing computer hardware, on this website. However I am not very computer literate as far as what is IN one. I am sorry for this sin of the next Mellinium, and I would love to corect this horrible error by taking some computer classes or reading some books etc... But unfortunatly I have found myself living in Munich Germany and have no such access to these possibilities. So I am asking you guys....

Bobsleigh:
    - You said that I need 128 MB of RAM, but the Dragon says
    64. I realize that 128 is better, but can 64 work?

- You also said that a Pent. II might not be so good, but
    the Dragon says it is fine. Again, obviously the III
    would be better, but does the II work?

- Also, there are some things that the Dragon mentions
    that confuses me. He mentions a Synthesizor/MIDI card.
    What is that?

- What is a Plewwriter 4/12 CD-R? Please explain to me
    what it is and if it is necessary.

- The Dragon also mentions SEVERAL cards. Including the
    Yamaha Y724, and the AARK 20/20+. I realize that I will
    have to buy a sound card. But which one and can I add
    it to a lap-top? I have seen my brother with the tower
    of his computer all apart before. Lap-tops don't have
    that. Is it external?

- How do I plug in My MIDI Synth and Master-Keyboard. I
    have the Roland JV 1010. And a master keyboard. How do
    I make them work with the Lap-top?

- I am looking at Logic Audio Platinum for a software
    program. Everyone talks about Cakewalk here. This
    Logic Audio Plat. program looks like a dream come true.
    It is a bit expensive at around $610, but it looks like
    it will do ANYTHING that I can throw at it.

- Ever heard of it? And is it better or worse than
    CakeWalk?

- How much does Cakewalk Audio 9 Cost?

I sure hope you guys can help me. I am stranded here in Germany with no one to ask but you guys. Oh yeah and the reason I keep talking about a Lap-top is because I HAVE to buy a lap-top. Space and portability are the most important thing here. Trust me, I know how insane it sounds to spend so much money on a lap-top. But that is how it has to be for me. So please don't make fun of me for it. I wish I could pay you guys for technical counciling so that I wouldn't feel so dumb. Anyway, do what you can. I appreciate anything and everything.

Sincerly,
    Mike

Thanks
    Just a note on laptops:
    They can be completely cool for music making. Obviously you have to realise that you are not going to get as good performance as a desktop of the same config but it should do fine. I did a laptop recording test about a year ago for Computer Music Mag using the UA100, WamiBox, VX Pocket and SonicPort - all performed well and essentially gave me a working 16 audio track studio with effects an stuff. Hit a brinck wall at 24 tracks - probably due to the hard drive speed. I used a generic p2/400 laptop - nothing special but also not packed full of rubbish.

You can get more info on these products through my web site:
    http://www.pc-music.com - under "hardware - laptops"

Being in Germany i would have imagined that Cubase would be king. Cakewalk/Logic/Cubase all do similar things, quick imho summary:
    Cakewalk - cheapest, easiest, guitar orientated, least powerful
    Cubase - easy, powerful, dance orientated, messy
    Logic - harder, powerful, good for everything, more expensive (although try looking at Logic Gold as that does almost as much as Platinum but for less cash), the best.

I hope this is useful to you
    Robin
    http://www.pc-music.com

Thanks

you are a spoiled brat;)

Originally posted by pisces7378
    Thank you BOBSLEIGH,
    However I am not very computer literate as far as what is IN one. I am sorry for this sin of the next Mellinium, and I would love to corect this horrible error by taking some computer classes or reading some books etc... But unfortunatly I have found myself living in Munich Germany and have no such access to these possibilities.
    access my ass... the net has shitloads of knowledge for all of us...
    http://www.dis.unimelb.edu.au/mm/hwtute/index.htm

Bobsleigh:
    - You said that I need 128 MB of RAM, but the Dragon says
    64. I realize that 128 is better, but can 64 work?
    The more the resources you have, the more capacity you'll have. How many tracks do you wanna be able to track at once? and how many total? Its just you, right? so probly not more than 2 or 3 tracks at a time... but up to how many total? You comp needs to be able to hold open and play as many tracks as you want it to... and thats all about RAM. If I have 1 23/48 track... thats, say, 4 minutes long. the thruput is, like, 200k/s so it pulls .2MB per second across you RAM.( if MY memory serves...) On paper, you can thus yank 320 tracks across, right? NOT SO. you need a buffer of say, 8 seconds (thats what I use, at least), so suddenly we're pulling up to a full MB at any given second, per track. Double that for plug-ins, and were looking at pulling 3 or 4 MB per second per track. That gives you maybe 16 tracks on 64MBs, IF everything else is FULLY OPTIMIZED, which it wont be, cuz you dont know how do do it yet. DO you want a 16 track cap? if so, 64MB is fine.

- You also said that a Pent. II might not be so good, but
    the Dragon says it is fine. Again, obviously the III
    would be better, but does the II work?
    The II works. The III is faster.

- Also, there are some things that the Dragon mentions
    that confuses me. He mentions a Synthesizor/MIDI card.
    What is that?
    A normal SOUND CARD cant play and SOUND when it hears a MIDI message... no synths. A SYNTH/MIDI card HAS some synth sounds on it, so it CAN play a sound when it hears a MIDI message.....

- What is a Plewwriter 4/12 CD-R? Please explain to me
    what it is and if it is necessary.
    Do they have search engines in Germany?
    http://www.plextor.com/english/products/products.html

- The Dragon also mentions SEVERAL cards. Including the
    Yamaha Y724, and the AARK 20/20+. I realize that I will
    have to buy a sound card. But which one and can I add
    it to a lap-top? I have seen my brother with the tower
    of his computer all apart before. Lap-tops don't have
    that. Is it external?
    Id look for a USB interface.. Or PCMIA.. like these
    http://www.tracertek.com/u24.htm
    http://www.tascam.com/products/us428/index.cfm

and if youre in to 20-bit..this thing looks neat. Ive never heard of it, though.
    http://www.tracertek.com/usb_studio.htm

- How do I plug in My MIDI Synth and Master-Keyboard. I
    have the Roland JV 1010. And a master keyboard. How do
    I make them work with the Lap-top?
    http://www.midiman.com/midiman.htm

- I am looking at Logic Audio Platinum for a software
    program. Everyone talks about Cakewalk here. This
    Logic Audio Plat. program looks like a dream come true.
    It is a bit expensive at around $610, but it looks like
    it will do ANYTHING that I can throw at it.
    - Ever heard of it? And is it better or worse than
    CakeWalk?
    I dont use cakewalk.
    Ive heard great thnigs about Logic.
    Nuendo is $1200.

- How much does Cakewalk Audio 9 Cost?
    Cake walk Pro Audio 9... $429.00
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/PA/PA9.html

Hope that all helps.
    xoxox

Thanks
    Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 is $259 at guitar center

Thanks
    if you think i was treating you as a child -> no certainly not. i was a little harsh though, sorry bout that maybe i should apologise but had you read any previous post when you asked the question? now you see why i don't think a laptop will work and some do. it's all a matter of opinion.

you just posted like 'i want the best gear there is'...'can i use a laptop'. NO YOU CAN'T. cause it's not the best. and sound cards will probably fit but if you want to add something you 'll probably have no room left. and if you want the best this isn't the place. go to digidesign.com and spend $100K. and many think that if you do that you still wont have the best gear. so sorry if i offended you i just think that if you know almost nothing about the topics here our answers wont help you cause you'll still be lost figuring out what they mean.

greetz guhlenn
    G.

Thanks
    I've been using my laptop with quite a bit of success. I have a Gateway PII 400 128megs ram, built in CDburner. The real trick is to use the md-3 docking station. It gives you a PCI card slot so you can run just about any recording card. I have the delta 1010. Just think, you can do all your tracking. Then hed over to starbucks for some coffee and sit at a table with headphones and do some mixdowns. Then burn them to cd while your sitting there. Then, on your way home you can listen to your mixes on your car stereo.
    Do they have Starbucks in Germany?

Thanks
    Well,

Almost everyone here thinks mixing with headphones doesn't work. (it could work though, i wouldn't know). And portability is a BIG pre. but than you lose a lot on flexibilty of the system.

GODDAMN THAT WERE ALOT OF -LITY WORDS!!!!

sometimes i amaze myself

greetz guhlenn
    G.

Thread Information