garageband general

I would think many people here use GB.
Anyway I am new to it and learning slowly. One thing I noticed in editing.. for example I find a part I dont like and delete it
and join. But I can hear the transition between segments sometimes.
How do you guys join parts together with smoother joints..?

First, you have to choose your cut points well, i.e., the before/after parts have to be well aligned in terms of audio. I can't imagine them doing this with tape. I honestly don't know if GB does anything about locating the playhead at a zero-crossing, but that's what I would in in Audacity, if doing a join. At the least, you want to zoom in as much as possible to look at the wave form and make sure you're not leaving a gap, and that the two parts are at similar amplitude and waveform shape in the area.

In Logic Pro X you can simply choose a "Fade" mouse-cursor and swipe across the area where the regions touch and it will cure most problems. That's not available, it seems, in GB.

[SNOB]Well, not many people here use garageband. it's more of a toy than a real DAW program[/SNOB] :D

If it is possible in GB, I suggest using cross-fades to join parts together. They can be very short in transition and can be seamless if done properly.

I dont think its a toy anymore. Maybe once.
It's a [very] gelded version of Logic Pro X. (And, I'm referring to the OS X version of GB.)

You can find the source of what it exposes in Logic, but as a Logic user, I have to say I preferred the earlier version of GB, though I only used it for maybe a year before making the move. Best $200 I ever spent [Logic Pro X] on this hobby. (Well, the AT4051a and ATM450 for $100 each, used, probably comes close, and a bundle of Roxul Safe'n'sound and some wood framing...)

As far as I know, GB is now at least at 24-bit now. But from recent experience with a guitar player recording with it and sending to me, I am not impressed. Might not be the software though.

Then I wonder why he spends $10,000 on his guitars and amps, yet records with shitty sims and GB... I just take a moment and sigh...

Then make him come to my studio and record it correctly.

GB doesn't have the ability to do cross-fades so if you do have to splice stuff, zoom in as far as you can and split where there is no signal. If a 'pop' is really noticeable you'll have to use automation to mute/un-mute, or dip the volume which is a HUGE pain. Logic Pro X is well worth the $399 price if you're married to the Mac ecosystem.

I still use GB, but only during song writing and construction. It's dead simple to put together progressions and use the auto-instruments on the iPad version. Then I'll open it via iCloud on my mac to tinker. If the demo takes are good enough, I'll import the audio to logic when I'm ready to go into recording/mixing mode.

Back