GarageBand?

Nalencer

I'm using a Mac. Is GarageBand (2.0) a good enough recording/editing environment, or do I need something better?

Same, I have seen it where I work, and it looks pretty budget, gimmicky, basic and limited to me.

I use Guitar Tracks Pro 3. Very versatile, very cheap...I don't know what software apps you can use for Mac. I don't like Apple's at all...

I use Logic Express and Cubase SE on my Mac. People who have actually used Garage band find that its looks and price bely a fairly powerful program. Yes you can do exactly what your asking and more. It is beyond being just a "midi program".
Try to find Electronic Musicians' review and you will find a ringing endorsement.

Garageband is an excellent introduction if your unfamilar with the concept of multitrack recording. My kids were pushing out tracks and having a blast on Christmas day last year when the new I-Mac G5 showed up under the tree. It comes bundled with all new Mac's and it's hard to argue with something that is free--especially when you also get i-Tunes, i-Movie, i-DVD, and the whole i-Life bundle. It also does a fairly good job as a loop editor and it comes with a fairly big collection of loops which can be upgraded with GarageBand JamPacks. And it offers a number of built-in software instruments. I wouldn't characterize GarageBand as a MIDI utility. In fact, I believe that only the most recent version (5.0?) runs MIDI. If you have an earlier version I think you need addition software utlilities to even play MIDI files.

On the other hand, GarageBand has some limitations, including the inability to record higher than 16bit and the limited number of mixdown options.

If you are serious about recording, I would suggest either LOGIC or Digital Performer. These programs are the most widely used applications for recording under OSX:

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11441

Back