g5 and garage band

starfox

I' ordering a new g5 dual 2ghz for graphic design purposes solelly. I do plan on getting pro tools for it. but in the meantime how is garage band. Does anyone have any experiance with this program. Also I noted that the g5 has analog and digital inputs and outputs. Should I still use my tascam us-122?

Garageband is pretty basic and for beginners I guess you could say. I'm having to use right now b/c my dongle key didn't work with my protools m powered which sucks since I just bought it and get even get help with digidesign. Gb doesn't support vsts or audio plugins either but it'll be ok to begin with.

dmc777 said:
Garageband is pretty basic and for beginners I guess you could say. I'm having to use right now b/c my dongle key didn't work with my protools m powered which sucks since I just bought it and get even get help with digidesign. Gb doesn't support vsts or audio plugins either but it'll be ok to begin with.

which version of GB are you using? i have GB 2 and it uses AU plugs not as many as i would like but... it does use them the one thing i hate is that it only does 16 bit audio when it could do 24 bit but i used it before i got Tracktion which i love very much for the money but hey GB will get most things done for you i would use a nice interface with it and just run it like its a rental. make sure to download the updates though..

Garageband is a fun program if you've never used a computer-based multitrack recording sequencer. It comes bundled with all new Macs and it is loaded with a variety of loops. It literally takes a few minutes to throw together a song and export it to i-movie, Final Cut Express, i-DVD, etc. It also comes loaded with basic effects. The downside is that it's limited to 16 bit recording. It also doesn't give you a lot of mixdown and export options. Essentially you tell it to render your tracks to itunes.

Just started using Garageband

The biggest weakness, aside from the 16-bit limitation is in its MIDI implementation: to my knowledge, it will not control an external MIDI device, only an onboard softsynth. You can control it with an external MIDI device, but you cannot export to MIDI or send your MIDI signals to another device.

Regarding the audio recording, I'm amazed at how easy it is to use annd edit.

guitar junkie said:
which version of GB are you using? i have GB 2 and it uses AU plugs not as many as i would like but... it does use them the one thing i hate is that it only does 16 bit audio when it could do 24 bit but i used it before i got Tracktion which i love very much for the money but hey GB will get most things done for you i would use a nice interface with it and just run it like its a rental. make sure to download the updates though..

I'm confused can GB2 record 24 bit. Whats Tracktion? And what do you mean run it like its a rental? :)

I donno...I have a new G5 in the house used stictly as a video editing station running Final Cut Pro. When you say it has digital inputs, I wonder what you mean. The Mac machines are really pretty stripped down. Usually only one hard drive, a video out, a couple USB I/O's and that's it...not even a parallel printer out. How were you planning to get audio in and out of the PC? Did you get an additional audio interface or were you planning to import audio from a different recording source?

Sorry, not trying to bust your chops about going MAC vs. PC...like I said, I've got one too...the Macs are great machines. Just looking to clear up a few things.

Regards.

i use a g5 and used garage band for a few weeks before logic arrived. It was ok in that i could demo some songs very quickly and easily with no real setup needed. But, if you want to produce high level work youll need to upgrade. I used GB1 , and it therefore only supported 1 in, plugins werent up to much, 16 bit, no bussing etc, and generally very little control over the project. But, like i said it was good for putting togeather demos fast, kinda like a 4 track is!!

GarageBand is solid...nothing more. It does the job. There are so many things you can't do though. There are limited mixdown options, 16bit recording only, and there is no tempo rubber band. Also, it only allows you to write in regular time signatures. However, it has a really nice range of instruments...

punkin said:
I donno...I have a new G5 in the house used stictly as a video editing station running Final Cut Pro. When you say it has digital inputs, I wonder what you mean. The Mac machines are really pretty stripped down. Usually only one hard drive, a video out, a couple USB I/O's and that's it...not even a parallel printer out. How were you planning to get audio in and out of the PC? Did you get an additional audio interface or were you planning to import audio from a different recording source?

Sorry, not trying to bust your chops about going MAC vs. PC...like I said, I've got one too...the Macs are great machines. Just looking to clear up a few things.

Regards.
I wrote this awhile ago I think I thought the g5 came with a beefed up sound card.
But Im using a tascam us 122 into my laptop pc with sonar right now. I just got my g5 and have not explored garage band yet. I need a good mac recording app before I move everything over. Money is the big issue here everything is so expensive. I heard Tracktion by Mackie is good for the money.
I really like sonar but I will gladelly move to recording on my g5 for the shear power of the machine. I've never worked on a more stable computer.

Back